First gear 914 gearbox modification

VW based Porsche. In a league of its own.
Snowball_161

First gear 914 gearbox modification

Post by Snowball_161 »

I want to change the first gear of my 914 gearbox. The standard 914 first gear is only one way synchronized. I did a gearbox rebuld before and I found out that the synchro parts are interchangeable with the other gears. Does anybody know if it's really possible to change.

This is becouse when you drive backwards and you want to go forward then Idont want to grind my gears.
aircooledtechguy

Re: First gear 914 gearbox modification

Post by aircooledtechguy »

Yes. I can verify your assumption about 1st gear syncros and brake bands being compatible with 2nd through 5th syncros and brake bands. I did this same mod on my 914 trans when I rebuilt it this past September. It's also a cheaper solution then acquiring the special 1st gear syncro too. Go for it.

Mine will still grind a bit if you are rolling fairly fast in reverse, but where it really helps is your ability to downshift into 1st from 2nd while moving at speeds over 3mph. I can now easily downshift into 1st coming into really tight hairpins. This will help when I begin to auto-X my car in the future.
Snowball_161

Re: First gear 914 gearbox modification

Post by Snowball_161 »

Ok thanks,

Nice that this will work. I want to do a complete revision, so al the worn sliders en synchro Hub's are changed with new ones (even the too expensive slider for the first gear :cry: )