VW based Porsche. In a league of its own.
romandian

Post by romandian »

hi

is it possible to put an 911 engine into a 914 2.0 four? is it possible to mate it to the boxter double clutch transaxle? is there enough space, are adapters needed and are they available? the weight penalty for the engine is around 100 pounds i understand. what would be the penalty for the trans?

roman
david58

Re: 914

Post by david58 »

romandian wrote:hi

is it possible to put an 911 engine into a 914 2.0 four? is it possible to mate it to the boxter double clutch transaxle? is there enough space, are adapters needed and are they available? the weight penalty for the engine is around 100 pounds i understand. what would be the penalty for the trans?

roman
Welcome to the STF romandian. I can't answer any of your questions, but am sure there is someone on the board that can. Do you have anypics of this project?
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
Type 4 Unleashed

Post by Type 4 Unleashed »

Yes 911 motors fit in the 914, but a lot of conversion parts are needed, like -6 engine tin bulkhead motor mount and so on, no adaptors are required but you will need the proper flywheel & pressure plate setup for the 901, and have no idea about the the boxter double clutch transaxle.
romandian

Post by romandian »

no pics, its a stock vehicle, that has been sitting for several years. as such it is a bit boring, so am considering what to do with it.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

romandian wrote:hi

roman
Yes, the factory did, early /6s bolt right on (need to get the right clutch/flywheel combo) and yes, and IIRC the overall finished weight penalty is usually closer to 200 Lbs.
It will require some custom engine tin or extensive work to the 911 tin.

The cost penalty: Bring your wallet, more for the /6 than the trans, the Boxter trans can be had reasonably if you shop well.
A typical /6 swap seems to run ~$10K, and that with a used motor.

Brad Roberts over on 914club.com has Boxter trans swap 100% covered, the Boxster 6 speed and matching axles are IIRC the preferred solution.
I'm not sure if the adapters are available retail yet, but I know they exist.

IIRC if you use a LATER 911 motor, no engine>trans/clutch adapter is needed: It bolts on, just need the motor/trans mount setups.

Can you point us at a link about the "double clutch transmission" you are referring to?
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
romandian

Post by romandian »

http://www1.adac.de/Tests/Autotest/TETD ... 34_PDK.pdf

sorry, it in german.

http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/boxst ... sandspecs/

had an article on the box, cant find it now.

what year sixes bolt right in. i have beem told, i need to fabricate the engine mounting, maybe that is for later engines?
412s2

Post by 412s2 »

Doesn’t the Boxster use the same transmission as the FWD VW group cars with longitudinal mounted engines? (Getrag 466 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Getrag)I would therefore assume that the Porsche M96 & M97 engines share the same bell housing pattern as the VW group engines? I would also guess that the 7-speed PDK transmission is the same design as the 7-speed S-tronic double clutch transmission found in Audis?

So I would guess you could bolt any modern VW group engine (petrol of diesel) into a 914 with one of these gearboxes. Likewise, you could bolt a modern VW group engine into the back of a rear engined VW using a Porsche 996/997 gearbox (M96/97 engine) without an adaptor plate??

Am I extrapolating to far?
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Go to the source...
http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?s ... &hl=getrag

You will probably have to register to see the pictures. :roll:

There are more threads on this subject there...
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
romandian

Post by romandian »

this is about a 6 speed, right? not doubleclutch7speed.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Yep, 6 speed from the BoxsterS.

Link to the 7 speed/double clutch setup?
Type 4 Unleashed

Post by Type 4 Unleashed »

romandian wrote:no pics, its a stock vehicle, that has been sitting for several years. as such it is a bit boring, so am considering what to do with it.
Hi Roman

Before you go over the edge.
I would get the motor in it running, check out your brake system R&R as needed, put some tires on it and drive the car.

If you just tear it apart now it will stay that way for years on jack stands... :lol:... If it's a driver, then up grades like to the brakes & suspension can be done in steps as parts are collected, play around with the motor thats in, a Big Type 4 I think is a better option and can be as much fun as a -6 cyl if not more and is a whole lot cheaper. Even a Turboed Type 4 would be a cheaper option than a -6 cyl.

Drive the car for 4 or 5 months, then figure where to go from there ?

What Year 2.0 "S" Model is it ?

Here is a link with some good info: http://www.porschepassion.com/914.htm
bulli74

Post by bulli74 »

Also remember that a 911 /6 is a dry sump motor so you will need to plumb in an oil tank oil cooler into the car. as far as i know all of the air-cooled six's will fit. if you add turbo's etc then there is no guarantee.. they usually require cutting up the back trunk. the stock replacement 914/6 oil tanks are running around $1500. so make sure that's what you want to do. the mount in question is the front mount it is totally different from the 4cyls models.there are sources that make this mount to be retrofitted on a 4cyl model.

I agree with type 4 Unleashed. get it running and drive it.. once you get the bugs worked out.. then you can start looking for things to upgrade.
bo

Post by bo »

i say turbo the stock motor with a few upgrades because the money you want to spend and the work involved you could have a t4 motor and go just as fast with half the money and complications just my two cents
FoulOleDon

Post by FoulOleDon »

In the UK, whole boxsters cost less than the projected conversion cost suggested above.
They are available from 6000 pounds ( about $9000).
Unless it's for your education the mods would seem un-economic.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

FoulOleDon wrote:In the UK, whole boxsters cost less than the projected conversion cost suggested above.
They are available from 6000 pounds ( about $9000).
Unless it's for your education the mods would seem un-economic.

Welcome to the forums!

There is a reason Boxsters go so cheap...
...Has to do with the disposable $25K motors that are lucky to last 50K miles.

REALLY nice cars otherwise, but they are so desperately in need of a Suby (or almost anything---LS1s supposedly fit) swap.

The Boxster six speeds can be had low mileage at ~$2Kish US... It's hard to properly rebuild+beef a 901 or 915 for that, and the six speed is still far stronger, the 5 speeds a little less sturdy that the sixes, but a dime a dozen...

If it was all about being economical, we would all drive Kias.
(Full disclosure--- I actually bought a new Kia, and would gladly buy another, seems utterly bullet proof with proper service. I don't DRIVE it tho, it's my daughters)