alternator question

VW based Porsche. In a league of its own.
fusername

alternator question

Post by fusername »

I just installed a porsche 914 motor in my bus, and it is workign great (too great actually, I'm afraid its gonna melt) but anyways I am curious about the alt. it appears to be charging, been driving it for 2 weeks now and always cranks, and I measured voltage at an ilde to be 13.5. however the wiring lacks provisions for my dash light. comeing from the alt are two bundles, one that fit my bus reg perfect so I simply plugged it in, and one to the starter, which i have going to an isolator as I run two batteries. how is the idiot light setup on a 914? did the wires get torn off, unlikely as I don't see any remains, or do they use a different system?
Piledriver

Re: alternator question

Post by Piledriver »

It uses the same alt/regulator, but the idiot light wire routes through the 914s relay box, on a Bus it comes directly off the regulator.

You'll have to look at/compare schematics, I'm at work and don't have those handy.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
aircooledtechguy

Post by aircooledtechguy »

This was one of the wiring issues I had to deal with when stuffing the 2.0L Porsche motor into my type-3. The solution is easy. You will need to splice the dash indicator light into the RED wire going into the regulator. Viola!! Dash light and good charging as normal. Or the other solution would be to use the buses wiring harness for the alternator.
fusername

Post by fusername »

are you saying behind the grommet on the back of the alt there is a plug on he alt? because I have a spare alt from my original bus engine, that I could take the wiring from and use that. if not I will simply splice as you said. is there somewhere the 914 wiring diagrams are available online? I am more interested in the FI than anything, but still, i may need this stuff later for some reason.
DWP

Post by DWP »

Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

fusername wrote:are you saying behind the grommet on the back of the alt there is a plug on he alt? because I have a spare alt from my original bus engine, that I could take the wiring from and use that. if not I will simply splice as you said. is there somewhere the 914 wiring diagrams are available online? I am more interested in the FI than anything, but still, i may need this stuff later for some reason.

On the T4 bus, it's simply an insulated spade connector at the regulator pigtail.

If you have the bus harness, use it.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.