914 Wheels!

VW based Porsche. In a league of its own.
david58

Post by david58 »

Lew wrote:Thanks Pile!

When looking on the inside of the rims, the bottom side of the lower ball joints on the dropped spindles are almost touching the rims. However the body is not on the chassis. Once the weight of the body is on the front beam, the swing arms and ball joints should move upward and clear the rims OK.
The wheel attaches to the spindle even though the trailing arms move in a arch that measurement doesn't change.
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
redhot

Post by redhot »

My 914 Mahle rims touched with lowering spindles.

The angle of the control arm into the spindle changes, and this affects this measuerment.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

redhot wrote:My 914 Mahle rims touched with lowering spindles.

The angle of the control arm into the spindle changes, and this affects this measuerment.
This is possible with drop spindles on a Bug, but not a concern on a 914, unless you go to RSR style struts or such... but then you'd probably be unlikely to run 15x5.5 rims.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
bulli74

Re:

Post by bulli74 »

jellybellybug wrote:I have the same wheels on my bug..

They came off a 72 914, and I believe they were original, (could be wrong :oops: )

Do you have the Fuch's or the Pedrini's ? the pedrini's were an option in 72 but the Fuch's were introduced on the 73 2.0 although the 2Litre Fuch's are a common wheel that people use for all other years.

"Pedrini (1970-72) alloys come in 2 versions, one was for front drum and they do not fit and the later come for front disc and they do fit."

and call me crazy but... 914's never had drum brakes think the difference here is the 72 and earlier cars were not hubcentric where the 73's were thats why there is two different types
jellybellybug

Re: Re:

Post by jellybellybug »

bulli74 wrote:
jellybellybug wrote:I have the same wheels on my bug..

They came off a 72 914, and I believe they were original, (could be wrong :oops: )

Do you have the Fuch's or the Pedrini's ? the pedrini's were an option in 72 but the Fuch's were introduced on the 73 2.0 although the 2Litre Fuch's are a common wheel that people use for all other years.

"Pedrini (1970-72) alloys come in 2 versions, one was for front drum and they do not fit and the later come for front disc and they do fit."

and call me crazy but... 914's never had drum brakes think the difference here is the 72 and earlier cars were not hubcentric where the 73's were thats why there is two different types
Mine are the Fuch's, and the 914 I took em off was a '72, but like I said I don't know that they were original. At the moment, the bug is wrapped up and stored for the winter, but when I get it out I will look for a date stamp on them. :)
dstar5000

Re: 914 Wheels!

Post by dstar5000 »

What does a set of 4-lug Fuchs go for?

I can get a set for $100....

Don
Cohibra45

Re: 914 Wheels!

Post by Cohibra45 »

dstar5000 wrote:What does a set of 4-lug Fuchs go for?

I can get a set for $100....

Don
Don,

I paid around $600 for a set of 5 that were polished/painted with proper lug nuts. That was a few years ago here in Florida. Here is Alex's link:

http://www.magrowheels.com/

Alex is a great guy to work with!!!