Transmission Fluid Foaming/Leaking

VW based Porsche. In a league of its own.
tornik550

Transmission Fluid Foaming/Leaking

Post by tornik550 »

I have been rebuilding my engine for the past couple of years. I finally have everything close to where I want it. Last week, I was able to drive my 914 for the first time in a long time. During the rebuild, I did nothing to the tranny except flushed the fluid and refilled it with swepco tranny fluid.

When I was driving, after about 15 min of 55mph cuising, I found that the engine seemed sluggish at times. It also was somewhat difficult to get into 4th gear. When I got home, I saw blue fluid under my tranny. I got under the car and saw that a fairly decent amount of tranny fluid that was extremely foamed. It also had a small amount of sand sized metal. I felt around and it feels like there is oil around the breather. This obviously makes me think that the oil was coming out from the breather (FYI, I also found that the breather hole is pointing towards the passenger rear. from what i understand, it should be pointing to the passenger front).

I had never filled a tranny with fluid so it is entirely possible that I did it wrong. I did my research, I thought I was correct at the time. I do not remmeber exactly how I filled it because I did it last year.

My theory- the oil foamed severely which caused oil starvation- this cause the small metal particles in the oil. the foaming and oil starvation caused the oil to expand and grow (since it had a lot of air foamed into it) causing the oil to overflow through the breather hole. Does this sound reasonable? If so, what can I do to prevent this (other than the obvious of filling the tranny properly).

Some car info- 73 914 1.7l increased to about 2.4l. Side shift tranny. New clutch/ pressure plate, flywheel. Swepco tranny fluid.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also some simple instructions (or link) on transmission fluid filling would also be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Steve
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

As long as the car was ~ level when you filled it, any excess would run right back out the fill hole, "full" is level with the bottom of the fill (upper) plug, and even a small amount extra shouldn't cause what you have reported.

(Level means level, front AND rear up)

Just curious--- Swepco 201 or 203?
(I like the 203)

Perhaps there was something incompatible in there before?? (WAG)
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
tornik550

Post by tornik550 »

I used swepco 201. Since I have to get more, I will try the 203. I do not know what kind of fluid was in previously.

I do not know for sure however I seem to remember that I used the bottom plug as the fill hole. This may have been the problem. Can anybody provide me with some basic instructions for filling the fluid. I want to make sure tha I do it right this time.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

:shock: Ewwwwwwwww...The bottom hole is the drain.

The hole about ~40mm up from it is the fill.. I hope the trans survived running dry... Might be a really good idea to find another if that is the case. (Most (all?) tailshifters are convertible if you have the sideshifter for parts and usually much cheaper)

Jack/support the car level, you should be able to get a lube place to use YOUR oil for a small fee, they have a lift and the right tools... (A cold 6 pack might do it)

Using a 17mm hex driver (and usually 3 feet of pipe) remove the UPPER plug. (Make sure the hole is cleaned out so you get the bit in all the way.

SLOWLY fill the trans until no more will go in, go have a cup of coffee, come back and try a little more, then put the plug back in quite snug.

I'll scan in the procedure in the manual and send them to you if you think you need to see it.
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
tornik550

Post by tornik550 »

I just got under the car and looked around. I definately did not fill the tranny from the drain hole. I guess that my memory is bad. I am certain that I filled the oil through the fill hole. I am not certain that I put the correct amount in. It was possible that the tranny was not level when I filled it. I am going to drain the current fluid and refill it. I will then figure out the condition of the tranny.
tornik550

Post by tornik550 »

Am I supposed to fill the tranny with a siphon type pump or is there are diffferent way to fill it?
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Hand pump
Example: http://www.allzim.com/acatalog/copy_of_ ... allon.html

Most FLAPS sell a hand pump with a foot or so of vinyl tubing that works with gallon jugs...

A used quart bottle with its pointy cap will work in a pinch.

Hand pumps also work great for ATF top ups if the fill tube is in a bad spot, can be a lifesaver.

It's possible that the brass "sand" is just old wear bits that were dislodged when you did the flush...
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Did you ever have any joy?
tornik550

Post by tornik550 »

I have filled the tranny with swepco 201 that I had. I inspected the fluid again that was remaining in the tranny and it didn't have the metal peices that I had seen before. I'm thinking that they were old peices that got washed away.

I have been working on the carbs so I haven't gotten a chance to take it for a spin yet.