Update 76-914

VW based Porsche. In a league of its own.
68Ghia

Update 76-914

Post by 68Ghia »

OK, Since delivery (1-16-09) I have cutout what appears to be, a 1" x 10" strip on the rear posts (wings?) It was concealed by the black "nallgahyde " overlay (did I spell that correctly? I can't even pronounce it!) but was apparent to the touch. After a POR-15 Treatment I began to fill w/ fiberglass and micro ballons. Lost all pic's of prep work leading up to patch and fill so when I finally do submit pic's this is where they will begin.
Anyway, have put temp (2 by's) batt tray in place, installed the Ghia's battery and found that head light motors work; headlights don't (cracked). Most lights, WS Wipers and stereo work. Have found some butcher splices and cuts (minor to date-I think) not to mention the battery tray, which might be a given with these cars. Was informed that it wasn't getting any spark by previous owner. Start at the begininning: Voltage at coil? Si'. Points gapped and not pitted. Si'. Whooooooooaaaaaaaa. What the HHHHH. The "grommet" for the wires exiting from the points was pushed out allowing the spade connection to contact the distributors metal case; as in grnd/shrt. Sure nuff, a little starter fluid, a few cranks and it ran; well until the fuel gave out.
Hope to finish body work on rear wings, look into fuel delivery problem and dive a bit more into the electrical. Will check for rust at windshield area when replacing windshield later this spring.
PileDriver; I did find the rear trunk release next to the fuse panel by drivers knee. I am missing the cover for the fuse panel. Do you know the layout and correct sizes of these fuses??? left to right?? All I have is this Hayne's "UP to YOU" manual.
Bleyseng

Post by Bleyseng »

Check the tech articles for 914's on Pelicanparts.com as they address several of your questions.