Compression for a stock 1.7

VW based Porsche. In a league of its own.
zwh

Compression for a stock 1.7

Post by zwh »

What are good compression numbers for a stock 1.7? I'm getting around 125 psi for all 4.
Dave_Darling

Post by Dave_Darling »

Warm, battery in good shape, starting system all fine, throttle WOT, all plugs out? That's probably a little on the low side. Figure 140+ when fresh, 100-110 PSI would be the wear limit.

Unless you're in Denver or elsewhere at altitude, then 125 is probably just fine!

--DD
zwh

Post by zwh »

Dave_Darling wrote:Warm, battery in good shape, starting system all fine, throttle WOT, all plugs out? That's probably a little on the low side. Figure 140+ when fresh, 100-110 PSI would be the wear limit.

Unless you're in Denver or elsewhere at altitude, then 125 is probably just fine!

--DD
Thanks.
Altitude is around sea level.

Since 125 is a little low, would this indicate a tired engine? Or could it still remain running healthy for quite a long time?
raygreenwood

Post by raygreenwood »

Also I tend to find that I do not get the 140 ish comprssion until the engine is well broken in. Usually for sure by 5k miles. I see 130+ by 1500-3k miles. Ray
Dave_Darling

Post by Dave_Darling »

zwh wrote:Since 125 is a little low, would this indicate a tired engine? Or could it still remain running healthy for quite a long time?
Both, I would think. A little tired, but good for a while yet. I wouldn't worry about it until it got down to the 110 range.

You do realize that these are all rules-of-thumb and not hard and fast rules, though, right?

--DD
raygreenwood

Post by raygreenwood »

Forgot to note....if by chance the pistons have been changed to the dished variety..which are not the correct ones for a 914....125 would be about right.
Have Dave....keep your fingers crossed. If my interview went well on Friday......we might be neighbors. I was in Palo Alto for an interview for a company whose plant is in San Jose. Ray
Dave_Darling

Post by Dave_Darling »

Get ready for a rude shock about property values, Ray! Rents are absurd, purchase prices are completely obscene!

--DD
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Also note if it has sat for any length of time and there is any rust on the cylinder bore, the readings tend to run low until you run it for a few K.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
raygreenwood

Post by raygreenwood »

Dave.....yeah I have been looking around already. Purchase is out of the question. The rents....are about 30-40% more than Dallas...apartment wise....since I will be too busy to maintain a house at all. If the job ccomes through....and the $ is correct.....I can deal with it. The issue will come down to work space for my toys. Ray