914 engine question

VW based Porsche. In a league of its own.
fall-apart-dave

914 engine question

Post by fall-apart-dave »

How do!

I have a Baja Bug, and have in there what we are pretty sure is a 914 engine. However, there's always a seed of doubt. My question is how do you tell the difference between a 914 lump and a VW lump of the same era? The engine code points to it either being a 1.7 914 jetronic lump or a VW 1.7 carb'd T4 lump.

I'm just curious about how to tell which one it is thats all!

Cheers

Dave
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

There may be little>no difference internally...

The 1.7 914 motor will have a small dome on the piston.
It will probably also have a breather tube on the rocker box tops, the bus flavors don't to my memory.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

You could check to see if the mechanical fuel pump boss is drilled and sleeved. This would narrow down if it left the factory with D-jet or carbs.
Yeah some may call it overkill, but you can't have too much overkill.
raygreenwood

Post by raygreenwood »

Yes...if it has domed pistons it is either 411/412 or 914. They are 100% identical in all parts and respects.
If it has teh drilling for the carb fuel pump.....its from a bus. Its doubtful that it would be a 1.7 411/412 carbed version. Those are rare as hens teeth...as they would have been gray market in 69-70 (in this country)...but would have been common in Europe.

Also...didn't the 914's have their case part #'s in a different location from VW's.....or was that only 2.0's? Ray
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

My GA block has the serial# in the std location... So does the EA 1.7. I have only heard mention of them being elsewhere, have never seen it. Might be refurb blocks?
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.