Worn Push Rods?

VW based Porsche. In a league of its own.
Widetrack

Worn Push Rods?

Post by Widetrack »

I have taken apart a 2L Type 4 that would not completely rotate and the only thing I found damaged was a badly worn pushrod about two inches from the end. One of the lifters cannot be pullled out with the end of a finger. With one head off the motor again rotated 360. Heads look fine. Rockers look good. Some of the other push rods are marked from dented pushrod tubes but could the badly worn one stop the rotation? thanks DG
Rouser914S

Post by Rouser914S »

Honestly, I can't see why it would stop the engine from rotating, since it doesn't come into contact with the pushrod,

You have something else going on internally.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Possibly ate the lifter, motor/oil pump full of iron shards at best.

Might be able to tell more pulling the jugs and maybe rods to get a look at the lifter from the other side.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Dave_Darling

Post by Dave_Darling »

About 2 inches from the outboard end? Nice notch worn in it?

The retaining wire for your push rod tubes was not seated against the shoulder of the tube. It stuck down the tube and rubbed against the rod, wearing the aluminum pushrod away.

--DD
david58

Post by david58 »

Rouser914S wrote:Honestly, I can't see why it would stop the engine from rotating, since it doesn't come into contact with the pushrod,

You have something else going on internally.
Well it is very understandable why you would think that way. Pay attention. :roll: :shock: :idea:
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.