i have a 914 motor, but what size is it?

VW based Porsche. In a league of its own.
the_riel_deal

i have a 914 motor, but what size is it?

Post by the_riel_deal »

just wondering if anyone can shed some light for me on how to determine what size type 4 motor i have sitting in my garage.

it was part of a dune buggy project that my uncle embarked on 25 years ago and never finished (well, hardly ever started). he has no idea what size motor it is or even what year it is, but apparantly it did come from a 914. it still turns freely by hand, so i'm sure it would be a great candidate for a build... but i need to know what size it is so i can list/sell it properly :oops:

thanks!
-jon
ewic

Post by ewic »

The top of the engine should have an engine code stamped on it. The Haynes manual say codes that start in W, EA or EB are 1.7 liter; EC and AN codes are 1.8 liter; GA and GB codes are 2.0 liter. That should tell you what it was when it left the factory. They are all good engines that allow for quite a bit of part swapping to build a multitude of combinations.
You can take a tour of this web site and find out more: http://tunacan.net/t4/
You should be able to identify the heads (1.7, 1.8, 2.0)(from part numbers, or number of studs at the intake) and see if they match the engine codes.
the_riel_deal

Post by the_riel_deal »

thanks, i'll check it out this evening!