shifter question

VW based Porsche. In a league of its own.
olivajeep

shifter question

Post by olivajeep »

who makes shifters for the 914 ( a list would be great) or tell me if this will work

raise the shifter plate 2" extend the shift ball at the bottom of the shift rod 2" giving a shorter throw as the piv point is raised. shorten the shift rod 2" to keep the factory look. this sound about right
Rouser914S

Post by Rouser914S »

JWest and Weltmeister are your choices. If their are others, it's news to me.

If you're looking to speed-shift a 30+ year-old 901-tranny-equipped 914 like your buddy's Honda, it ain't gonna happen. The above short-shift kit creates more problems than it solves, because it's the whole set-up that's antiquated.

The super-best compromise you can hope to have is a RennShifter, new bushings, and a rebuilt tranny on 911 sport mounts. Anything else will be a compromise on that, a 914 is a 914, and a Honda is a Hon-duh.
olivajeep

Post by olivajeep »

no im not looking to speed shift anything. im looking to improve on the shifting of the car as it is a 30+ year old car. not having to put the shifter in my knee to go to reverse or first and inproving on the allready vague shift pattern sounded like a good idea. thx for the links
Bleyseng

Post by Bleyseng »

You just need to replace all the shift bushings including the univeral joint on the shift bar.

I have done that and mine shifts like new which is awesome as the gears are easy to find and its a simple shift pattern.

I have repaired twice a local 914 guy who uses the Rennshifter like its a Honda and slam shifts the tranny beating up the shift rods inside the tranny. He chips off pieces of the shift selector! Then it sticks in a gear from forcing it.
Bug@5speed(US)

Post by Bug@5speed(US) »

olivajeep

Post by olivajeep »

is there a diffrence in number of bushings in the tailshift and sideshift. i know the linkage is diffrent.
Dave_Darling

Post by Dave_Darling »

Yes, there are a different number and kind of bushings in each. Pelican (and possibly others) sells a complete bushing kit so you don't have to guess. The bushings are also listed together.

--DD
olivajeep

Post by olivajeep »

im also looking into rebuilding the 901. who sells a small parts kit for this tranny and maby 1/rev 2/3 syncro. im not sure of the condition of the tranny as i havent taken it apart but i think i will need more then just blocker rings (syncro rings)
Bleyseng

Post by Bleyseng »

PelicanParts has the tranny synchros and gaskets kits online.

Check the upper mainshaft bearing for slop as those usually go bad. It should be nice and tight meaning you can't grab the shaft at the flywheel end and move it up and down.
olivajeep

Post by olivajeep »

ok,thx. any other tips on this tranny
Bleyseng

Post by Bleyseng »

Download a copy of the Porsche/VW manual as there are certain things that you have to measure and reinstall correctly. Tough to do without the manual.
olivajeep

Post by olivajeep »

the manuals can be downloaded form pelicanparts
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Has anyone made a cable shifter setup yet?

Having said that, the other are right about the shift bushings, makes a HUGE difference.

(The one at the trans is always loose though, even with new bushings... on both trans I have laying about. Thinking about making my own from Delrin or such so they actually fit)

I also bent my shifter back ~3" (bit that sticks out of the floor) and rotated it away some, it appeared to be held in with JB Weld or such, much better for me. (5'11") FWIW.

IIRC I used Plastic Welder to secure it this time.
(Wonderful stuff)
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Dave_Darling

Post by Dave_Darling »

Piledriver wrote:Has anyone made a cable shifter setup yet?
Yup, several people have. All one-offs as far as I know.

(The one at the trans is always loose though, even with new bushings... on both trans I have laying about. Thinking about making my own from Delrin or such so they actually fit)
The hole in the side shift console is frequently worn out of round. Some creative tinkering can find a way to make the bushing stay put (some have used tie-wraps, I JB-welded it in place and broke it out when it was time to replace the bushing).

--DD