1.7l rockers 2.o motor

VW based Porsche. In a league of its own.
olivajeep

1.7l rockers 2.o motor

Post by olivajeep »

what is the advantage of going with 1.7l rocker assemblys in a 2.0 head what i have read is that it will raise the rpm level. is this realy worth the hassl and what kind of gains are you looking at. also what parts do you need to do this. i think the higher rpm redline would be great for highway driving with the stock gearing in the 901 tranny.
raygreenwood

Post by raygreenwood »

It allows you to use the Porsche 911 style swivel feet adjusters. They allow much better valve adjusting geometry and lower wear. Very worthwhile improvement. I would call all of those gains. Ray
olivajeep

Post by olivajeep »

what is needed to do this. rocker, rocker shaft, studs or is there more to it then that.to me it seams to be a bolt on deal or is there machine work needed.
Dave_Darling

Post by Dave_Darling »

Bolt-on if you're just talking about the rocker arms. Use the shafts from the engine the rocker arms are from, as they are all "used" to each other.

To use the 911 adjusters, you will have to deck the face of the rocker arms with a mill by about 0.060", and you will probably have to put some shims between the rocker shaft mounts and the head. That falls under the category of "setting up the rocker arm geometry", which can be a bit involved...

--DD
olivajeep

Post by olivajeep »

do you think some stronger studs for the rocker shafts will be in order.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

olivajeep wrote:do you think some stronger studs for the rocker shafts will be in order.
Yes, the factory 7mm setups is junk. Jake sells the HD studs and solid spacer sets, as well as the 911 adjusters (REAL Porsche ones)

He even sells the whole shot already done as a kit.

(Whoops, old post.. Better late than never?)
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.