Info: CB Dry Sump pump fits 914 well.

VW based Porsche. In a league of its own.
Piledriver

Info: CB Dry Sump pump fits 914 well.

Post by Piledriver »

Stumbled on one for $40 at a swap meet, clears stock cooling fine, even using a "full flow" T1 cover (to eliminate the stock filter location/passages in block)

914 motor mount brackets will need clearancing.

Also appears to clear a full T1 size pulley for upright T4 mod.
(at least on a T4)

Internal:(Suction) 26mm gears.
External:(Pressure) 21mm gears.

Pump used AS-IS routes oil pressure back to stock output.

http://cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=189
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

I thought the inlet and outlet of this pump were a bit restrictive so I opened up the passages after welding on AN fittings.
One of the stock engine mounts requires extensive modification to clear the hose fitting.
ewic

Post by ewic »

Keep us posted. The dry sump system from CB looks really appealing - bolt on horsepower. I was thinking a used oil sump off a 911 could be used instead of the $169 oil sump tank from CB. Good luck, let us know if you feel the power.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

OK, Type4unleashed set me up with some engine mount brackets (Mucho Thanks!) and I mocked it up.

The RIGHT (looking at the pump) side mount is a no-brainer, this is the pressure pump intake.

The stock mount can get a bit of 3/16" flat steel "cap" put on, and most of the existing angle side bits can go, leaving plenty of room. It will need a couple of holes for socket access, but NBD.

The LEFT side is more of an issue, as the output of the suction side is routed low, probably to clear something on a T1(??). The output flange interferes hard with the horizontal part of the bracket the rubber mount actually attaches to.

...Considering hacking the output flange OFF, plugging the pump there and 2 places internally, and drilling//routing the low pressure//suction side thru the std T4 path, either to output at a oil filter adaper or out the plug at the top. (using the stock passage from the pump to the filter, perhaps drilled out to 11mm)

Shorter: The inner, first stage pump gets modified back to use the stock configuration/output, and we tap off the stock filter bracket or plug on case for the LP tank feed.
I hack off the offending bit of pump and plug that output, as it is no longer used.

This will allow the L side bracket to be unmodified.

The only danger I see here is the inner plug from the main oil gallery will have a big pressure diff across it (the suction side output is still low pressure, only goes to oil tank or tstat>cooler>tank) so the inner plug may need replaced?
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
Dave_Darling

Post by Dave_Darling »

ewic wrote:Keep us posted. The dry sump system from CB looks really appealing - bolt on horsepower. I was thinking a used oil sump off a 911 could be used instead of the $169 oil sump tank from CB. Good luck, let us know if you feel the power.
The 911 sump doesn't fit very well in most places in a 914. It can be made to fit in the fenderwell (a la 914-6 tank) if you have flared fenders, but even then it tends to be a bit of a hack. The CB one is probably the least expensive option...

--DD
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Motor still not done as other higher priority projects have gotten in the way, but took some pics of the setup so far.

http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php ... wed#804176

The mods arent hard or time consuming once you figure out WTF to do...
Dean

Post by Dean »

Very interesting! Are the gears big enough to route oil to a front mount cooler? I'm using a regular 30mm full flow setup right now but I would love to get rid if my deep sump.

Thanks

Dean
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

I'm pretty sure Racer Chris puts his up front... and he uses the same pump.

An oil thermostat mounted close to the engine would be needed... I think cooler goes in the 26mm pumps scavenge loop, and the cooled/filtered oil feeds the tank ala 911 IIRC.

Copy what works...
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

After seeing Muffler Mikes pics/video, I'm very seriously thinking plumbing this up as a "stage and a half" pump and running wet sump until I can get the Corvair fan setup done at the very least

Only external plumbing route changes, might not even have to drill the case for the return as I have a 1/4" plug at the base of the stock relief valve, and the return to case plug I installed can come out...

If I ever do go drysump, all it takes is moving a few hoses.

Trying to figure out how to get a "T" on a pushrod tube reliably for the rocker box scavenge. Easy on a T1...