Radiator Mounting

Are you one of those confused people who can't make up their mind?
DakDat

Radiator Mounting

Post by DakDat »

G'Day...

I have a 76 Bay kombi fitted with a Nissan 2ltr ( 810 series in USA)

I am thiking of mounting the radiator (camira, not sold in the states, I think) underneath, between the chassis rails, on an angle to increase airflow and fit twin thermo fans.

If I could grap ppl's thoughts on this and has anyone done it...

Cheers Steve
DakDat

Post by DakDat »

someone must have seen this or done it :?:
Baja Wes

Post by Baja Wes »

yes Dan in Brisbane has done it. I will find a link.
Wes - http://www.offroadvw.net - 200HP Quad Cam V6 in a VW Baja - with climate control... :)
Baja Wes

Post by Baja Wes »

Wes - http://www.offroadvw.net - 200HP Quad Cam V6 in a VW Baja - with climate control... :)
DakDat

Post by DakDat »

Thanks Wes,

I have been trying to reach Dan...without any luck..

Does not seem to visit AVD all that often...

Steve
metropoj

Post by metropoj »

I've seen it done, very successfully. I'll tell you what the problems were ... or at least what I didn't like about the guys setup ...

Firstly, it worked great, you could barely see the rad and cooling was never an issue ....

1.) The guy mounted the rad at a slight angle with the fans behind the rad that sucked the air through the rad, no problem .... EXCEPT, the hot air warmed up the floor so hot that it basically radiated heat into the cabin...

2.) The rad angle was fixed and not adjustable which could lead to problems if something is hit ( like a Racoon or an Dingo I guess ! ) it could damage the rad .... depending on how ( where ) you like to drive your ride. Mines a camper so it can go some pretty roacky places ...

OK, I plan to do this with my 79 Loaf this fall hopefully:

1. Rad will be mounted in a frame that attaches to the cross rails as you suggested in your post BUT I will have the Rad on hindges so that it can move if need be.

2. I will have the back part of the rad attached on threaded rods to adjust the height if need be ( or else use the quick lock pins ) for hotter days, etc. This will allow the rad to move if an obstruction hits it without as much damage.

3. I will place a shroud that will curve the hot air away from the floor and exit it without hitting the floor. This will prevent the hot air from heating the interior....

4. In the front of the rad I'm going to place some 2 inch spaced bars top to bottom and place a screen either in front or back of the rad to offset the chances of damage to the rad .....

If you need any more info, I can try and dig it up //// I like this idea for rad placement the best so far .... I think it's the best of all worlds for safety, air flow, cooling rad space, heater core and HVAC placement under the back seat, etc ....
DakDat

Post by DakDat »

metropoj

Lets try a Kangaroo :D

Thanks for the post...a lot of good information...

I have decieded to place it in the rear...have seen this on a couple of subaru conversions and was recommend by a local VW mechanic...

As the Nissan is an inline 4, I will get air flow from underneath and from the vents on the Kombi...will be using twin Davis Graig fans..

Keep in touch...would love to know how yours turns out..

Steve
metropoj

Post by metropoj »

Likewise, I'm interested in how you bring in air from underneath, as the post I sent you and pictures only "Talk" about bringing in air from the bottom. I have some ideas but I'd like to see what other did first as I am not a total pioneer ...

I really did contemplate putting the rads in the back but I'm really keen in using the rad that comes with the engine ( especially for Airconditioning and the heater cores )
DakDat

Post by DakDat »

Have again changed the design, due to lack of clearence between the rear of the bus and water pump.

If you don't want to cut the body don't do this...

Radiator is now located inside the battery tray area on the left. Radiator is 400mm by 500mm by 50mm, twin core...fully sealed.

I have fitted a large fan on the inside of the radiator, or closes to the body
which will draw air though the vent, simular to the air-cooled motor.

I have raised the engine rpm to 2500 and held this for 10min..the temp was 85-90 Celsius (194 Fahrenheit)

I know this is static test but I'am confident at high speeds (100kph) the temp will stay around 90-95
DakDat

Post by DakDat »

Went on my first road test today :D no prop with overheating...at any speed...very happy :D :D :D
Baja Wes

Post by Baja Wes »

It would've been pretty difficult to get the car to overheat in Sydney in the middle of winter :lol: , it would've been about 10 degrees C :lol: .

Sorry, couldn't help it being a Queenslander. :wink:

Hope it works out well for you. My radiator position seems to be working very well, it draws air from under the car. Just gotta move my air filter from behind the thermo now.......

Post by Guest »

Wes

Sorry, couldn't help it being a Queenslander. I guess u can't help bad luck :D

It was a mighty 2 degress this morning, perfect weather for a road test..

Q? for u Wes...

With the V6 in your Baja, do you have a problem with high revs V's road speed?

As this seems to be with my 2ltr Nissan and 1800 box combo..

any Ideas???
metropoj

Post by metropoj »

Well, it's good to see that the rear rad theory is being tested by a few die hards .... :)

Hopefully, when the weather is nicer out your way ( or at least in the 30 celcius range ) that it continues to cool efficiently ...

Now, all that hot air that exits your rad, I assume gets blown right over your already hot engine ?? Are you planning on ducting that hot air away from the motor with a shroud ??
Baja Wes

Post by Baja Wes »

I run a 2lt 6-rib box, 31inch rear tyres, and a 0.70:1 albins 4th gearset. So I do about 2,200rpm at 100kph.

http://www.albinsgear.com.au
pkagel

nissan engine conversion

Post by pkagel »

what all was involved in this conversion. i'm able to get a 2.4l f.i. nissan engine to put in my 72 bus and i was thinking of putting the radiator where you did in the left side where the extra battery would go. please send me all the details as i'm getting a deal on the engine and i wanted to know how much extra i'll end up spending on the conversion.