914 to Automatic Bus

Are you one of those confused people who can't make up their mind?
rpinkfloyd12

914 to Automatic Bus

Post by rpinkfloyd12 »

I'm new at the whole customization thing, just stuck to mostly stock. I have a 1975 Bus with fuel injection and an automatic transmission and stock 2.0L. I'm looking at an 1.7L 914 engine that uses dual carbs, just the long block. I was wondering exactly everything that would need to be done to get the two to match up and if it is even possible to do this witht he automatic transmission. I also would use the fuel injectors and everything I already have, so would that affect anything seeing how the porsche uses dual carbs. I'd appreciate any help because I am clueless! Thanks, Rodney
SportyBug

914 to Automatic Bus

Post by SportyBug »

Jake would be a good guy to ask about putting together one monster out of those two. http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/
metropoj

914 to Automatic Bus

Post by metropoj »

Hey, easy swap, done it a few time with a F.I. 914 1.8 in my last bus, and a 1.7 in this bus ....

Need Bus Engine Tin, Engine bar and mounts with block mounting brackets ( very important ), Bus Exhaust, any year for the Type 4's will work.

Need the Torque converter obviously. FYI, 914's have different toothing on their flywheels so they can't be used on any conversion .....

I think that's it. ANy questions, email me ... or try this post again although I don't get onto the T2 stuff often ..
vwzach

914 to Automatic Bus

Post by vwzach »

I think that you would be better off with the bus 2.0L.
The 914 1.7 is almost identical to the 1.7 that was in the earlier bay buses. If you went from a 2.0L bus to a 1.7L 914 you would actually be downgrading.
metropoj

914 to Automatic Bus

Post by metropoj »

Well, that's not entirely true VWZach .... don't necessarily be fooled by the fact that a 2.0l has more displacement than the 1.7l ...

The 1.7l actually has more HP than a bus 2.0l ..... due to higher compression ratio .... Also, the Djet is actually considered by most to be more robust than the L jet F.I. as well .....

With a little port and polish on a 1.7 you can crank a little more HP and full flow exhaust, or leave stock . As was strongly recommended by others on the site, watch engine and oil temps ... that will be the difference in a heavy bus ..... my 1.7 runs great ! .....

OH, it's worth adding the following : Check the Case number of the 1.7l and the 2.0l and compare stock compression ratios. 1.7l Bus and 914 have two different Compression ratios .... W Engines were 8.2:1 .... all bus were approx 7.3:1 that includes I believe 2.0l

Just some FYI ! I can dig up info if you require ...

[This message has been edited by metropoj (edited 03-19-2003).]
vwzach

914 to Automatic Bus

Post by vwzach »

You have got me curious. What else is different?
My understanding is that the compression ratio was about the only difference in the block itself. The big difference was the FI instead of those horrible carbs on the bus 1.7L. I put a 1.7L 914 engine in a 73 bus once just because it was the only good running engine that. I didn't go to the trouble of installing the d-jet, went with a progressive that I had sitting around. Anyway it seemed just as slow as a bus engine.
I thought it was better to get more power with displacement instead of higher C.R., especially in a big heavy bus.
As for the D-jet, that is personal preference. Most of the 914 guys that I know like it better. Almost all of the VW guys I know like the L-jet better. I personally like the L-jet a lot better. It is so much easier to troubleshoot.
I have never actually looked up the HP for either engine. Would be interesting to see how the different engines compare.

Re: 914 to Automatic Bus

Post by Guest »

[quote="vwzach"]You have got me curious. What else is different?
My understanding is that the compression ratio was about the only difference in the block itself.

Well, blocks are all basically the same ( the heads were the big difference combined with CR ) 2.0l heads are another complete matter, many changes

The big difference was the FI instead of those horrible carbs on the bus 1.7L.

Yes, but not the only big difference. Compression ratio was dropped from 8.2 Domed Pistons to 7.3 Flat top or Dished pistons, not sure which. 411/412 engines most closely represented the 914 engine with high CR. The bus CR was dropped because of the weight and heavyness of the bus, it could overheat faster.

I put a 1.7L 914 engine in a 73 bus once just because it was the only good running engine that. I didn't go to the trouble of installing the d-jet, went with a progressive that I had sitting around. Anyway it seemed just as slow as a bus engine.

Depends on the 914 engine. EB blocks came with 7.3:1 compression and not a lot more HP than stock bus, also was your 914 engine set up right, timing etc etc etc ? . I'm actually running a CB with Progressive and it does just fine....

I thought it was better to get more power with displacement instead of higher C.R., especially in a big heavy bus.

That's possibly true, Too high CR is not good. I found that it's how you drive the bus. My 1.8l pulled all the studs because I overheated the thing ( 70 - 75 mph ). My 1.7 is great and completed a 1600 mile trip at 55 to 60 with no issues ! The 1.8 has a high CR and you really have to watch it. My point was that a 2.0l gives the same power as some 1.7's so if there is no 2.0l available, the 1.7 will give you about the same performance. Not to mention, everyone things 2.0l bus is awesome and price drives it up. 1.7's work the same for less money, buy one as a spare !

As for the D-jet, that is personal preference. Most of the 914 guys that I know like it better. Almost all of the VW guys I know like the L-jet better. I personally like the L-jet a lot better. It is so much easier to troubleshoot.

I've used both and like both ! Bus guys get immersed in L-Jet first whereas Type 3 and 914 guys get D-Jettified ! D-jet stuff is a little more plentiful but both work fine. Vacuum leaks are a little more forgiving on a DJet ...

I have never actually looked up the HP for either engine. Would be interesting to see how the different engines compare.[quote]

GO to Tunacan.net, you'll get the info about the motors .... As always, even with 2.0l's, it's how you drive it ..... I'm planning a watercooled conversion for the same price as a 1.7l rebuild .....