EJ22 in a 72 Westy-Ghostly electrical problem

Are you one of those confused people who can't make up their mind?
ullr

EJ22 in a 72 Westy-Ghostly electrical problem

Post by ullr »

Ive got a 72 westy with a 98 EJ22 in it. The old girl has run great, I've got about 40k miles on the swap and only minor problems. Until my last camping trip.

I shut the bus down and when I went to restart it, it was not running on all cylinders. The problem was sporadic, pulled all the plugs and wires checked all the electrical connections and viola it fixed itself. Fast forward about 100 miles and its back.

This time it will start most of the time and idle at about 2500 rpm, after a few minutes driving or idling it drops to 900 ish rpm and isn't running on all cylinders. Cylinder 1 is out. Shut it down it and start it up and it does the same thing. #1 drops out after a short while.

Here is what I have tried:
Spark at all four cylinders while not running.
I can pull the lead to #1 and recreate the problem.
Swaped leads to different cylinder- no change
New plugs #1 had a high resistance
Checked for power and signal to the coil.
Checked the coil using an ohm meter
Checked O2 sensor
Checked fuel pressure
Wiggled all the wires while running
Oh and while running its only operating at 11.5 volts, the battery reads 12.5v while off, usually reads 13-14.5v
Rebuilt alternator 25k miles ago.

I feel like the low voltage has a correlation, what electrical part could fail and cause a drastic drop in voltage.

I hate throwing parts at an electrical problem. I appreciate your help.
Ol'fogasaurus

Re: EJ22 in a 72 Westy-Ghostly electrical problem

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Do a capacitance check on all the plug wires and the high tension lead. Inspect the cap, rotor and if you have points then too. Test the coil for input and output. Those are just standard things to look at.

We had a problem with the high tension lead from the coil to the dist. that ended up being the worst part of the problem (the idle circuit we think is the other problem though. Two buggies with left carb having that as a chronic problem). A quick check it was missed but I happened to notice something on the dial of the meter when I was standing away during the testing; a retest showed the same problem I noticed.

Moral: don't go real fast when testing...slow down :wink: .

Lee