VW Vortec Camper engine upgrade

Are you one of those confused people who can't make up their mind?
vortecvwcamper

VW Vortec Camper engine upgrade

Post by vortecvwcamper »

I'm posting this due to a renewed interest in my VW Camper. I noticed that most of the recent bus engine swaps use Subaru engines and there's nothing wrong with that, it's just not my personal engine of choice.

I have a 72 VW camper that I converted to a 1997 GM Vortec V6. Engine was originally from a rolled over S10 SS with the OBD2 computer. Engine had 100 miles when I purchaed it. Fuel injection is Central Port Injection (CPI) converted to OBD 1 computer. The trans is an 86 Porsche 930 with heavy duty 930 Kennedy clutch and same CV's. Exhaust uses stock manifolds with stainless pipes, catalytic converter and custom DIY stainless muffler. The entire exhaust system is mounted to the engine. Radiator is mounted to the front of the bus inside a tubular frame shaped like a spare tire. Lots of plumbing. Heater is an under the dash unit from a Ford Courier pickup, very compact high btu unit.

My intention is to replace the existing 4.3L in my VW camper with a new GM block of the same type or to upgrade to the GM 4.3 Liter V6 EcoTec3 LV3 Engine. I'm used to the torque of larger displacement GM power plants and it seems the EcoTec engine has many advantages over the 4.3 L Vortec that I'm currently running. It "produces 285 horsepower and 305 pound feet of torque on gasoline".
http://www.lsxmag.com/news/power-number ... k-engines/

Interested in your opinions. Has anyone attempted an engine conversion using the GM V6 EcoTec engine to a VW or Porsche?
Last edited by vortecvwcamper on Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
vortecvwcamper

Re: VW Vortec Camper engine upgrade

Post by vortecvwcamper »

VW4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vortecvwcamper

Post by vortecvwcamper »

VW5.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vortecvwcamper

Post by vortecvwcamper »

VW7.jpg
vortecvwcamper

Post by vortecvwcamper »

VW10.jpg
vortecvwcamper

Post by vortecvwcamper »

VW9.jpg
vortecvwcamper

Post by vortecvwcamper »

VW1.jpg
panel

Post by panel »

Love your current conversion....and the new one you're eyeing up seems even cooler.

What part of the conversion has you on the fence ?
'65 Bus with a JDM Subaru EJ20 Turbo
Built by Germans powered by Japanese and brought together by Canadians
vortecvwcamper

Post by vortecvwcamper »

Hey Panel, Thank you.

I'm looking at the maximum gain for the minimum in cost and time. So, switching to the newer GM V-6 is going to cost a few grand and take up a lot of my time to do it right. Swapping engines had better yield a substantial gain in performance or forget about it. If only there were others that have done Ecotec v-6 swaps, I could get some feedback on what to expect performance wise as well as the technical aspects. When I installed the Vortec engine I befriended a few Corvair swappers that shared lots of useful data. So far, no such luck finding anyone that's done a Ecotec V-6 engine swap! I can purchase a brand new Vortec V-6 marine engine for a good price and switch it out easily. I know what to expect performance wise from the Vortec: 275+ foot pounds of torque and easily over 210 real horsepower. The VortecVWCamper climbs mountain grades like you wouldn't believe! So, maybe I'll stick in a new vortec engine and be happy with what I've got?

vortecvwcamper