Radiator Size

Are you one of those confused people who can't make up their mind?
H2OSB

Radiator Size

Post by H2OSB »

Can anyone say for certain if a Boxster center radiator (24inches x5inches x1.6inches) would provide enough cooling for an EJ22? on a 1303, mounted behind the "grill"?

H2OSB
H2OSB

Re: Radiator Size

Post by H2OSB »

As a follow-up, what about using two of these https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminium-Radi ... Sw9hdaMSpR in a V formation?

The issue for me is I don't want a huge radiator, so were I to even consider doing an EJ22 swap, I'd need to think about what I'm willing to do with the radiator. Obviously, it needs to go in the front, and being a 1303, there's a good place for it, but I really don't like the look of a large radiator sticking up in the front when the hood is opened. Ideally, I would make it appear the spare tire is sitting there under the spare tire cover.

H2OSB
surfbeetle

Post by surfbeetle »

Have you been over to aussieveedubbers and read this thread? This thread is Joel's from Australia. He also has videos on youtube that show his cooling system in his beetle. Good Luck.

Post by H2OSB »

I have seen that thread, though I admit it wasn't anywhere near 15 pages long the last time I looked.

I had a conversation with Joel when he switched to the radiator he currently has. Even that is larger than I want to use. The problem is I want to have my cake and eat it too (Ok, not sure how that applies in this context).

I detest the idea of cutting up my pristine car. All I'd want is the power and reliability of a typical early EJ22. I'd love to simply build a 2056cc T4 (And have many of the parts to do it), but when I do a cost analysis, it makes no sense to build a T4. I don't mean this to offend, but I put T1 as the low end of the totem pole due to many things I don't like about T1 (And witch is solved by the T4).

Internal dilemma
H2OSB
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

IIRC you have enough parts to toss something together to stuff in the car and drive, which is job one.
Considering that all used parts T4s tend to run for decades with any care.. You'll have plenty of time to decide.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
H2OSB

Post by H2OSB »

Piledriver wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:04 pm IIRC you have enough parts to toss something together to stuff in the car and drive, which is job one.
Considering that all used parts T4s tend to run for decades with any care.. You'll have plenty of time to decide.
You're right. Other than the cylinder covers (which I may have by weeks end), I'm pretty sure I have enough parts to put a T4 together.

H2OSB
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

billz60vw

Post by billz60vw »

How about two mini Cooper radiators???they are tiny and I know for sure two will work!!
joelzy

Post by joelzy »

billz60vw wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:46 pm How about two mini Cooper radiators???they are tiny and I know for sure two will work!!
Billz!
I am very interested in your setup but can only find a rear pic with a tiny bit of radiator peeking out. Do you have more pics and info on the setup?
thank you!