How to convert the floorpan to Subaru transmission?

Are you one of those confused people who can't make up their mind?
BlobDK

How to convert the floorpan to Subaru transmission?

Post by BlobDK »

Hello

I have an buggy, with IRS rear, and a 2,6L typ4 engine.

In order to be able to use the power and torque that the engine have, I am thinking about going from a std. transmission to a Subaru transmission.
I have seen the youtube videos that Subarugears has uploaded, about how to flip the diff. ect.

But I would also like to see how much that needs to be done at the floorpan, before I start the project.
So does any of you know where I can find some good information about what modifications that are needed? Or a build tread where somebody has described what to be done?
GS guy

Re: How to convert the floorpan to Subaru transmission?

Post by GS guy »

Check the Subarugears website for the clearancing information required. I believe if you use their nose-cone, you just need minimal clearancing around the engine support forks.
56SemaRag

Post by 56SemaRag »

Actual floorpans, nothing. You will need to clearance the rear sheet metal where the transmission snout passes through. If you are just looking for strength and don't mind a 4 speed I would stick with a built VW trans. It will easily handle the type 4 power. Going the Subarugears will require a new forward mount and shift linkage along with the 5 speed kit.
56' Semaphore Ragtop Subaru (Build)
Subaru Engine & Transmission
Mendeola Suspension

69' Karmann Convertible (Build)
Suby AWD Driveline

05 Suby Baja Turbo - Stage 2+
07 Legacy Spec B - Stage 2
15 Suby Forester XT
BlobDK

Post by BlobDK »

Thank you for the informations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk