72 Beetle EJ22 Build

Are you one of those confused people who can't make up their mind?
turboedbug
Posts: 447
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:22 pm
Location: washington

Re: 72 Beetle EJ22 Build

Post by turboedbug » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:42 pm

Looking great, love the custom fab stuff!
1969 beetle rolling subie power
Ej20k vf-22 roller bearing turbo
Wright gearbox pro street -soon to be suby 5 speed
EMS stinger 4424 ecu
Wide 5 discs all the way around

72marinablue
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:00 am

Re: 72 Beetle EJ22 Build

Post by 72marinablue » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:51 pm

The last bit of the intake puzzle coming together. Had to go with the pie cuts for........ consistency sake with the rest of the build :Ds

I made a fitting that slips over the MAF with a very nice interference fit, and welded the tubing to the inside to start the piping. Everything is tacked together but I ran out of argon over the holiday weekend so I'll have to finish next week :(. The tubing will get a silicone coupler to mate up with the throttle body. You can see the welding wire I bent at the same curvature as the decklid so I could guarantee fitment.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Happy New Year!

turboedbug
Posts: 447
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:22 pm
Location: washington

Re: 72 Beetle EJ22 Build

Post by turboedbug » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:41 pm

72marinablue wrote:The last bit of the intake puzzle coming together. Had to go with the pie cuts for........ consistency sake with the rest of the build :Ds

I made a fitting that slips over the MAF with a very nice interference fit, and welded the tubing to the inside to start the piping. Everything is tacked together but I ran out of argon over the holiday weekend so I'll have to finish next week :(. The tubing will get a silicone coupler to mate up with the throttle body. You can see the welding wire I bent at the same curvature as the decklid so I could guarantee fitment.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Happy New Year!
Looking good!

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

1969 beetle rolling subie power
Ej20k vf-22 roller bearing turbo
Wright gearbox pro street -soon to be suby 5 speed
EMS stinger 4424 ecu
Wide 5 discs all the way around

72marinablue
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:00 am

Re: 72 Beetle EJ22 Build

Post by 72marinablue » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:37 pm

Ive switched gears a bit and am working on getting my new front clip figured out before I weld it to the car. Working on some support while maintaining airflow and I also made a fan shroud for my Spal puller fan.

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

turboedbug
Posts: 447
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:22 pm
Location: washington

Re: 72 Beetle EJ22 Build

Post by turboedbug » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:16 pm

Do ya have a photo of the front clip from the front of it?

Are u just using a fan to move air accross the radiator?

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

1969 beetle rolling subie power
Ej20k vf-22 roller bearing turbo
Wright gearbox pro street -soon to be suby 5 speed
EMS stinger 4424 ecu
Wide 5 discs all the way around

User avatar
petew
Posts: 3749
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:05 pm
Location: Sydney/Australia
Contact:

Re: 72 Beetle EJ22 Build

Post by petew » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:55 am

Some really nice work there. :)

72marinablue
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:00 am

Re: 72 Beetle EJ22 Build

Post by 72marinablue » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:39 pm

turboedbug wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:16 pm
Do ya have a photo of the front clip from the front of it?

Are u just using a fan to move air accross the radiator?
The fan is on the backside of the radiator to create negative pressure and use the radiator more effectively, ill have it wired to the subaru ecu so it comes on automatically. I haven't modified the front clip for air inlets yet but I will be creating a custom kamei spoiler (I have 2, 1 super beetle, and 1 standard beetle spoilers) with integrated inlets to feed the radiator. This means minimal body modification which is what I am after. I don't want it to look like it has a radiator.

Zaney
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:05 pm

Re: 72 Beetle EJ22 Build

Post by Zaney » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:41 pm

How did you create the raised inner circle for the radiator to mount to on the shroud?
1965 Suby Powered Rallye Beetle

User avatar
GS guy
Posts: 642
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2002 3:01 am

Re: 72 Beetle EJ22 Build

Post by GS guy » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:32 am

I'd guess a bead roller with a step die. Super nice metalwork!

72marinablue
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:00 am

Re: 72 Beetle EJ22 Build

Post by 72marinablue » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:24 pm

Zaney wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:41 pm
How did you create the raised inner circle for the radiator to mount to on the shroud?
I used a bead roller with a step up die, I pre stretched the material with an english wheel in the area that is stepped up, thats the photo above where the aluminum looks "arched" on the bench. This helps to reduce oil canning or the aluminum moving around on you so when you roll in the bead the piece stays relatively flat.

joelzy
Posts: 117
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:53 pm

Re: 72 Beetle EJ22 Build

Post by joelzy » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:13 am

Image
that is some seriously awesome work
I just got a tig welder capable of aluminum and this is definitely inspiring me to get started

Post Reply