EJ18 in a ‘69 standard

Are you one of those confused people who can't make up their mind?
petew

Re: EJ18 in a ‘69 standard

Post by petew »

Just out of interest, what have you done to stop rocks and debris from knocking holes in your radiators?
billz60vw

Post by billz60vw »

Nothing.that area doesn't get much rocks or debris becouse of the aerodynamics of the car.it's very rare to see any damage on the fenders back there. Only thing you have to do is make a low pressure area on the other side of the radiators so air will flow thru it and not around it.
joelzy

Post by joelzy »

billz60vw wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:53 am It works fine behind the wheels but you will need duals as one isn't enough cooling. I used two mini Cooper radiators https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1265859.jpg
I like the way you mounted the radiator and would use your first sketch with deck lid standoffs and make sure it's sealed. I think that would work good.and would have enough air scooped in while moving.
Thank you Billz! very cool build!!! any more pics or a link to get a better idea of how you set up the radiators down there?
Its a bit premature but i'm researching my options in expectation of this setup not working out as is.

thank you for the response and input!
petew

Post by petew »

billz60vw wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:02 pm Nothing.that area doesn't get much rocks or debris becouse of the aerodynamics of the car.it's very rare to see any damage on the fenders back there. Only thing you have to do is make a low pressure area on the other side of the radiators so air will flow thru it and not around it.
Maybe your roads are different from ours, but I think you're crazy sticking anything fragile there.

Beyond that, long experience of a subaru setup and watching others tells me 1 properly placed radiator is the best way forward for a variety of reasons. Look at Oem stuff that is mid or rear engine. Radiators are almost always at the front of the car.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Rocks and debris thrown up by you are going to be behind you. It might be a bit different if you are "Tail-end Charlie" in a long line. :roll:
billz60vw

Post by billz60vw »

Cool.do what you like.
joelzy

Post by joelzy »

Finally got the cooling system plumbed and filled.
Ran the car for almost 30 minutes yesterday. Took about 20 to warm up to operating temps and the rest was just kind of seeing what it would do at temp.
It never got too hot but there were some weird spikes and fluctuations. Going to burp the system next to see if that helps and then hopefully drive it to see how it does when not idling in the garage.
petew

Post by petew »

You still have the thermostat in position? I would have thought your radiator is purging air pretty well where it is.

BTW, if you're able to drive it round the block and give it a few pulls that can help.
joelzy

Post by joelzy »

petew wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:44 pm You still have the thermostat in position? I would have thought your radiator is purging air pretty well where it is.

BTW, if you're able to drive it round the block and give it a few pulls that can help.
Yessir, replaced the thermostat to be safe but i have not run it with the cap off at all yet, only with it closed and added coolant once it cooled down.
Hoping to take it around the neighborhood to see what kind of temps I'm looking at while moving.

here is a little clip of it once warmed up
[BBvideo=560,315]https://youtu.be/t6i0x6Qr6bg[/BBvideo]
turboedbug

Post by turboedbug »

Pretty exciting isnt it! I remember the vid i made almost 8 years ago of the first time running it. wholly crap time flies.

Anyways congrats. Keep the vids coming hahaha

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Turbo!
joelzy

Post by joelzy »

Very exciting!
Ordered a funnel that should aid in the burping of the system so hopefully i can do that this weekend and take it around the block a few times.
I knew i was going to have a time filling it up with the cap placement but didn't consider burping at the time like i should have.
joelzy

Post by joelzy »

Wow, glad i figured out a way to burp the system. It took a lot more coolant than expected once i finagled a way to somewhat seal up the cap to the funnel and run it.

Also ran it out of gas so i can swap out a fuel fitting that is causing a kink in the line. This weekend was a crap shoot for trying to test-drive with two other vehicles needing work so I'm aiming for next weekend to take it for a spin.
turboedbug

Post by turboedbug »

Getting close!

Turbo!
joelzy

Post by joelzy »

I know the exhaust is ridiculous and i was dragging a lot but i couldn’t help but take it out for a spin today.
Next step is shortening the manifold and rerouting the exhaust.
Felt so good to drive it! Motor wanted to go but i was babying it with the pipes draggin ass.
[BBvideo=560,315]https://youtu.be/COE3fEeaR4I[/BBvideo]
Ran cooler than expected as well since the burping, never went north of 180.
turboedbug

Post by turboedbug »

See how the temps are when cruzing on a highway. Kinda curious what your fan cycles will be

Turbo!