71 bug - planned EJ20t swap - new member

Are you one of those confused people who can't make up their mind?
ryans88gt

Re: 71 bug - planned EJ20t swap - new member

Post by ryans88gt »

Oh yeah, front suspension is done. New KYB performance shocks, new ball joints, new tie rod ends, new 2" drop spindles, new wheel bearings, regreased front beam, new discs/hubs, new stainless brake hoses, new calipers and pads. Also fixed the speedo cable, the dust cap had rounded out, so I resquared it using the welder and a dremel. replaced the cable while I was in there.

Going to replace the master cylinder and bleed the brakes and the brakes and suspension should be golden!
Master slacker

Post by Master slacker »

With the new disc brakes and dropped spindles, how much further out are the wheels going to be? How are you going to address that?
ryans88gt

Post by ryans88gt »

1/4" according to the instructions... so nothing I hope.
Master slacker

Post by Master slacker »

The reason I ask is because, back in the '90's, my dad and I put 2.5" drop spindles on and the wheels poked out a fairly substantial amount. And that is with drum brakes. When we do get back on the project, I'd like discs in front and dropped, but I don't want the wheels poking out. And I'd rather not cut the beam. :?

If you don't mind me asking, what brand spindles and brakes did you use?
ryans88gt

Post by ryans88gt »

http://www.socalautoparts.com/product_i ... 30-p-15424

This is the kit I bought, it says in the instructions it widens the front track width 1/4" per side. Nice kit really. Added to that a set of braided hoses, new ball joints and tie rod ends, and the wheel bearing kit. New front end!
ryans88gt

Post by ryans88gt »

I've started final assembly now... Engine and trans, CV joints are all installed. Making various connections.
ryans88gt

Post by ryans88gt »

Here is my radiator lower mount, cutout and scoop. Coming along now.
surfbeetle

Post by surfbeetle »

Looking at your engine picture above I have a few questions. Are you using the stock coolant reservoir in the stock location? Mine didn't look like it would fit. For your oil filler, did you do anything to modify it? I turned my 180 degrees but filling it is difficult without a long funnel. Lastly, on your air filter, did you use the factory connector between the turbo and the filter?
Thanks
ryans88gt

Post by ryans88gt »

Here is what it looks like currently.
ryans88gt

Post by ryans88gt »

surfbeetle wrote:Looking at your engine picture above I have a few questions. Are you using the stock coolant reservoir in the stock location? Mine didn't look like it would fit. For your oil filler, did you do anything to modify it? I turned my 180 degrees but filling it is difficult without a long funnel. Lastly, on your air filter, did you use the factory connector between the turbo and the filter?
Thanks
I have the metal coolant surge tank on the intake and I will be putting a overflow tank somewhere, not sure where. The metal surge tank fits, but it is tight in there. I chopped the oil filler and epoxy-ed it back together and gave it a shot of black paint. A big standard funnel fits in there. I also tried flipping it and it didn't quite fit the way I wanted it.

For the air filter I bought a polished 2.25" 90 degree bend from silicone intakes and a coupler and t-bolt clamps. It was a tight fit to get it in there. Had to dent it in a little and move some stuff out of the way, but way less restrictive than the stock pipe.

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/aluminum ... p-697.html
surfbeetle

Post by surfbeetle »

Thank you for the info. Looks good!
ryans88gt

Post by ryans88gt »

Well I am going to try to knock out the rest of this build by the end of march... Looking good, working on plumbing the coolant lines and hopefully start some wiring this weekend.
ryans88gt

Post by ryans88gt »

Anyone still out there?

Got it started up. Need to do some tuning, but should be on the road soon!
panel

Post by panel »

Nice! Did you just run the rubber rad lines all the way to the front? What muffler ya running ?
'65 Bus with a JDM Subaru EJ20 Turbo
Built by Germans powered by Japanese and brought together by Canadians
ryans88gt

Post by ryans88gt »

I did run the rubber lines all the way to the front. So far I haven't been able to get it over about 165F... so everything seems to be cooling well. I have two radiator caps, one at the top of the radiator and one in a filler T above the engine. Made it pretty easy to bleed the air out.

Drove it around the block and neighborhood a few times, getting the bugs worked out of the tune. Right now it is pretty driveable, starts really nice even at the 30F temps we've been having. However it goes way fat once I get into boost and breaks up. So I have some more datalogging and tuning to do.

Muffler... hmm some ebay special, bullet type 2.5" muffler about 18" long. Sounds like a subaru... only a little louder. Not too bad really the turbo really seems to keeps things reasonable.