Anyone wish they hadn't bothered with their Suby conversion?

Are you one of those confused people who can't make up their mind?
Dan Dryden

Anyone wish they hadn't bothered with their Suby conversion?

Post by Dan Dryden »

This is a genuine question.

I've almost convinced myself to sell up my 200hp type 1 turbo motor and built gearbox in favour of a Suby turbo engine and box.
I can only see positives about doing this but want to make sure I'm not looking through rose tinted spectacles.
The main positives I forsee for me over my aircooled are:

More modern, efficient design and less fragile than my turbo aircooled.
More power available with some moderate tuning.
Less maintenance and longer service intervals
Watercooled = better ability to handle sustained abuse (track days).
Better gear ratios allowing for better cruising rpm and higher top speed.
Box is built to handle the power of the engine.

I'm no longer an aircooled purist and on paper, the switch seems a no-brainer. But are there any pitfalls?
I'm told fuel economy isn't great, but my current setup will return around 30mpg on a steady 60mph highway cruise and drop to around 25mpg around the urban roads and traffic light grand prix. - similar figures to a quad cam Subaru turbo?
skills@eurocarsplus

Re: Anyone wish they hadn't bothered with their Suby convers

Post by skills@eurocarsplus »

my only regret is I should have done it sooner!

not to sound cheap, but I simply can't justify all the money to build a proper "new" aircooled using junk china parts that are never correct and need tons of work.
dlamyle

Post by dlamyle »

I haven't hit any pitfalls. Except the feeling I have that I need to modernize the rest of the car. I've added power windows, power door locks, Heat, AC, Bluetooth receiver for my Ipod/phone, speakers, Amp, third brake light, Modern headlights (looking at LED's), Push-start keyless ignition with proximity auto door unlock/lock. Now I'm wondering if ABS is doable? These are things you can do when you're not tinkering with an old aircooled engine :wink:
My Subi engine finally gave out. Head gasket failure on top of the slight rod knock I've ran with for a couple years. I'm actually happy about this because I knew it was coming the day I pulled the tired (160k) motor from the rolled WRX. The good news is there are great options available. Would be easy to rebuild with brand new parts from the dealership or the many vendors of high quality aftermarket forged race parts, or a JDM motor with (50k) on it for $1200. I'm going to slap my heads on a brand new ej205 short block from Subaru I got for $1800 and be done.

Those MPG's sound about right for my aggressive tune. One of the benefits of this conversion is with an Accessport you can have multiple tunes available at your fingertips. winter tune, track tune, fuel economy tune or anything else you and your tuner come up with.

Do it. You won't regret it.
1968 Karmann Ghia, JDM EJ205, Subarugears, OBX LSD, Blouch 16g XTR, Killer B Headers, DW 750cc, Meth Inj, Cobb AP w/Mach V 22psi Dyno tune (332whp)
Videos
Build Thread
Dan Dryden

Post by Dan Dryden »

Thanks for the honest feedback guys! You have confirmed my suspicions that perhaps the grass really is greener!

I think this year, the show season will become a campaign to sell my current motor and gearbox. This should hopefully be enough to fund a conversion to a Subaru turbo unit over the following winter months.
paul_f

Post by paul_f »

I don't have a subi conversion but I helped a mate with a few bits on his bay when he was fitting a NA engine.

If you are doing the work yourself - don't underestimate the amount of time it will take - it is a lot of work.
Doing the Subaru gearbox is expensive.
Dan Dryden

Post by Dan Dryden »

Thanks Paul_f.

Fortunately, I don't have a particular timescale in mind, so I feel I have plenty to play with and do the job properly. I'm very aware of the amount of work involved having researched a lot on the subject and experience of building my efi type 1 has probably set me in good stead.

The Subaru box does seem expensive, but the lure of running 5 gears at ratios matched to the engine, higher cruising speed and built to take the power of the Subaru engine seems a no brainer. If I ran my vw box I would always see it as the weak link.
Richie S

Post by Richie S »

Dan, I think it sounds like an excellent idea for all the reseans you have already stated. Reliability (subject to the care taken with your installation and donor engine choice) for maximum driving pleasure is definitely the way to go.
Don't be phased by what others think, it's your car, do what you want.

Look forward to seeing the next phase of your car development begin.

Regards

Rich.
Dan Dryden

Post by Dan Dryden »

Richie S wrote:Dan, I think it sounds like an excellent idea for all the reseans you have already stated. Reliability (subject to the care taken with your installation and donor engine choice) for maximum driving pleasure is definitely the way to go.
Don't be phased by what others think, it's your car, do what you want.

Look forward to seeing the next phase of your car development begin.

Regards

Rich.
Thanks Rich.
I'm surprised you haven't done this yourself if you're a supporter of such a conversion! ;-)

I haven't yet met any negative comments about my plans to switch, but equally haven't really mentioned it to the people I think would "disapprove".

(Maybe word has got back to them if I am correctly reading into your comment about not worrying about what others think...... ?)

Being an ex-aircooled purist, I can see that some would see a Subaru conversion as mutilation of a good classic car.

I see it as a way of making the most of modern technology!
If VW had continued to develop their boxer engine past the type V WBX, they would've probably ended up with something resembling a quad cam Subaru engine.

Hope to see you at the shows this year!
Sandbar Norm

Post by Sandbar Norm »

Hi,
I don't have a suby conversion but I will say that the having a newer engine is nice.
The newer engines are more reliable. They have more hp in stock form.
I know you can get a lot of hp from a built VW but then I think you have a lot more up keep also.
If something goes wrong, probably any auto parts store will have replacement parts in stock.
I went from a tired stock 1600 to a 2.2L with 3 to 4 times the hp. :D
I can beat on it all day and get up the next day and do it again.
Norm
http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g42 ... 742873.jpg
Prtexx

Post by Prtexx »

Dan, go for it you will not regret it as long as you do things correctly, from what you posted it sounds like you have the skills to accomplish it with no problems. I have been involved in 7 swaps so far and no one has regreted the change. I have a custom muffler on my bug and most people just think it's a built up motor until the lid is open. Who cares what the purist say it's your car and money. My Beetle has been on the road 2 years now with no problems and a stock transaxle (I don't do burn outs). It takes me about six weeks to do a conversion, starting a bus in the next couple of weeks. A 2.2 fits perfect in a bug all you have to do is cut the corner gussets by the bumper mounts and you don't have to raise the motor.
Good luck
Steve
67 VW roadster
36 Buick 3 window coupe blown 350
87 Syncro 2.5 Subaru
84 Westy
77 Westy 2.5 5 speed
FB VW Subaru Conversions
Dan Dryden

Post by Dan Dryden »

Thanks PRTexx and Sandbar Norm for your input.
I'm pretty much set on the idea of switching to a Subaru turbo engine, even though it will be a little more complicated and difficult to fit within the confines of the standard (looking) bodywork.
My experience of turbocharging my type 1 has made me realise how much I like the power delivery of a turbocharged engine and its ability to be a calm everyday cruiser or a complete monster at the push of the pedal.
I'd feel like I was going backwards if I were to switch to a N/A engine now.
Buggin_74

Post by Buggin_74 »

Hi Dan,
As much as I love air cooled engines the subi conversion was the best thing I;ve ever done to mine.
The install is the worst part, once you get through that it's all worth it.

Mine is coming up on 6 years now and aside from when I built up the new EJ25 the only maintenence I've done is just filter and oil changes
its done 92,000kms since the original install was finished in 2009.

Naturally being a one off custom job there will always be little teething issues here and there, you probably saw on my facebook yesterday my airflow meter bracket broke (surprising it lasted 6 years being a pissy peice of strap)
but over all its just a fit and forget engine once you get the cooling, fuel and electrical systems sorted.
1974 Germanlook 1303 Suba-Beetle
Subaru EJ25 Boost R 17", 4 Wheel discs, Topline suspension and A/C
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

Are you planning the subagears box?
Dan Dryden

Post by Dan Dryden »

andy198712 wrote:Are you planning the subagears box?
Yes, I'd like to get one I can fit straight to the car without any worry of its history or how many miles it has left in it.
The biggest restriction will be cost and how big my budget is.....

My budget depends on how much I can sell my existing engine and box for.
surfbeetle

Post by surfbeetle »

Mine's not finished yet but my only regret would be that if I had to do it again, I would have gone with a single overhead cam engine instead of a dual overhead cam. I have spent a ton of time getting things to fit with dohc and it would have been much easier.