my slow progress towards a subaru powered KG

Are you one of those confused people who can't make up their mind?
Hegel

Re: my slow progress towards a subaru powered KG

Post by Hegel »

ttriebler wrote:Yes agreed, probably better doing it all with the Subie trans the first time. No need to spend money on adaptor plates, weird starters and weird clutches that way.
Great idea. Unfortunately I don't have the finances available to get the Subaru trans right away (I wish I did). The only way I can justify it and plan it is to wait until the car is already on the road, save up some more then get it. that way I'm enjoying the car while saving up... The adapter plates are always resellable so I should get some back on that.
Prtexx wrote: While I would like to use subagears products someday it makes for an expensive set up. I've done 5 swaps this past year using VW transaxles and been very pleased with them.. Most of us are building on a budget and until there is some competition or the price comes down it will be a while. I believe it's a good product if budget wasn't an issue. Just my opinion.
Thanks, this is essentially where I am at currently, As I said a few posts ago though... the car WILL run a Subaru trans at some point in the future. I believe that if I am careful then the transaxle will last. Phase 1 goal is not for a racecar. Phase 1 goal is to have something that can be driven daily if need/wanted, get good fuel economy, and be reliable.
dlamyle wrote:I think the point is, when he gets to Phase 3, he will need to address the trans anyway so it would be better to do it sooner than later. The "expensive" set ups are the ones you have to repair or replace. You only pay for quality once...
Having said that, I like your Phase approach. Keeps you up and running and you get to look forward to the next phase.
thanks, the phase thing keeps me focused. A project like this can be overwhelming if you've never done one before. This is my 1st acvw and engine swap project. this way I hopefully can stay on target and have a running driving car before too long.
ttriebler

Post by ttriebler »

Prtexx wrote:Been following the thread for a while and felt compelled to jump in. While I would like to use subagears products someday it makes for an expensive set up. I've done 5 swaps this past year using VW transaxles and been very pleased with them. I completed one project (including the cost of the car) for less the cost of a subagears built tranny. Most of us are building on a budget and until there is some competition or the price comes down it will be a while. I believe it's a good product if budget wasn't an issue. Just my opinion.
Sure....but you are not comparing apples with apples. Those VW transaxles are 4 speeds not 5 speeds. And the 4 speeds usually increase your engine revs to an annoying level at cruise. (or with a freeway flyer have a hole between 3rd and 4th).

I don't see the price changing significantly in the future - there's just not that much margin in it. If it were to get price competitive you would likely have to use cheaper/inferior materials and processes and have an unreliable product. No thanks. I would rather just shut it down.

I agree with you though, for someone doing it all on a budget, stretching it out to a 5 speed is probably not worthwhile and you have to make compromises like the above. :) Let's see this baby finished!
Buggin_74

Post by Buggin_74 »

Prtexx wrote:Been following the thread for a while and felt compelled to jump in. While I would like to use subagears products someday it makes for an expensive set up. I've done 5 swaps this past year using VW transaxles and been very pleased with them. I completed one project (including the cost of the car) for less the cost of a subagears built tranny. Most of us are building on a budget and until there is some competition or the price comes down it will be a while. I believe it's a good product if budget wasn't an issue. Just my opinion.
It depends which way you tackle it, if you just buy one of Todds ready built turn key trans then yes its not a cheap alternative but if you just buy the kit and convert the trans from the donor car and take off the cost of an adapter kit its actually not real expensive.

If I was starting from scratch its certainly the way I would go.

Todd, I keep forgetting about the extended flanges, the only thing I not wrapped in is shortening axles.
A mate has a WRX engine and trans mid mounted in a Purvis Eureka with the joined axles and they are often snapping.
if there was a way to Machine new splines in rather than cut and weld I;d be on it.
1974 Germanlook 1303 Suba-Beetle
Subaru EJ25 Boost R 17", 4 Wheel discs, Topline suspension and A/C
Prtexx

Post by Prtexx »

"Sure....but you are not comparing apples with apples"

I agree with that statement but for $3500 I can buy lots of apples however I have not had any tranny problems, and I disagree with the noise level at highway speeds with a proper exhaust that has not been an issue. I cruise along at 75/80 mph and it runs strong and sounds great and get 30 mpg. Not trying to get in a pissing contest you have a good product but it is not the only option.

Building in stages is a good way to go to keep the project going and slow is better than never. :)
Steve
67 VW roadster
36 Buick 3 window coupe blown 350
87 Syncro 2.5 Subaru
84 Westy
77 Westy 2.5 5 speed
FB VW Subaru Conversions
Prtexx

Post by Prtexx »

Good morning Joel,
I have given that option some thought if my bus tranny ever goes out, though the parts would still be 4 times the cost of the adapter.
Steve
67 VW roadster
36 Buick 3 window coupe blown 350
87 Syncro 2.5 Subaru
84 Westy
77 Westy 2.5 5 speed
FB VW Subaru Conversions
ttriebler

Post by ttriebler »

Buggin_74 wrote:
Todd, I keep forgetting about the extended flanges, the only thing I not wrapped in is shortening axles.
A mate has a WRX engine and trans mid mounted in a Purvis Eureka with the joined axles and they are often snapping.
if there was a way to Machine new splines in rather than cut and weld I;d be on it.
Joel, why the heck would he run joined axles? Eww - talk about a recipe for disaster.
It's so cheap and easy to get a diff shop to shorten them and recut the splines and circlip groove.
I don't understand why anyone would do a weld job and risk (a) their axles being off balance and destroying the trans and (b) snapping at the worst possible moment and have a broken half axle destroy the back of the car.

You can get pretty much any length axle out of the states from Swayaway or Pacific Customs etc.
Please get your friend to do it properly.
I can get them made to length if someone is finding it really hard to source them.
Buggin_74

Post by Buggin_74 »

Ah so it can be done easily?
I wasnt sure, living in the sticks there's no one around here that does it and it looked like in the pics they were joined on Pauls old Blue Lbug.

With Daves Eureka because its mid mounted he has just left the stock Subi CVs on the trans and mated it to VW outer CV joints by joining the 2 axles.
A set of your flanges would fix it so he could run VW axles, he just built the car along time ago, I think they've been rosette welded.
jhoefer

Post by jhoefer »

ttriebler wrote:I can get them made to length if someone is finding it really hard to source them.
Probably not a bad idea to start selling them since it's a necessary part to use your extended flanges anyway, and one not readily available off the shelf, as far as I know, like the 15 5/8 lengths are.
56SemaRag

Post by 56SemaRag »

jhoefer wrote:
ttriebler wrote:I can get them made to length if someone is finding it really hard to source them.
Probably not a bad idea to start selling them since it's a necessary part to use your extended flanges anyway, and one not readily available off the shelf, as far as I know, like the 15 5/8 lengths are.

Concur,
I had my shortened axles made at Sway-Away. They will take more abuse than I will be able to dish out, but the price may keep some from going with the extended flanges. Offer the shorties for a decent price and it will contnue to make this conversion more appealing.
56' Semaphore Ragtop Subaru (Build)
Subaru Engine & Transmission
Mendeola Suspension

69' Karmann Convertible (Build)
Suby AWD Driveline

05 Suby Baja Turbo - Stage 2+
07 Legacy Spec B - Stage 2
15 Suby Forester XT
ttriebler

Post by ttriebler »

OK I'll get a bunch made up and get them into stock.

Paul's old blue Lbug did originally have the axles welded together like this :
Which very quickly destroyed 2 gearboxes because of the out of balance weight on the axles.
The owner managed to snap these welded axles once as well.

Now it has proper shortened axles like this :
Which has been going fine for a couple of years. Track days, upped boost, whatever.
Buggin_74

Post by Buggin_74 »

Thanks Todd, that first one was the photo I was thinking of.
Good to know there is an easy effective solution.
Hegel

Post by Hegel »

been busy with building a fence and working ot, my hospital built a new facility and i've been working like crazy getting it ready to open. the wiring harness has had all the protective sheathing removed (electrical tape sure does get gummy when its hot out.) has anyone had experience with this modification kit ?

http://www.smallcar.com/index.php?dispa ... t_id=29894

looking at the other conversion parts they also have a header that looks like a nice albeit expensive piece of metal

http://www.smallcar.com/index.php?dispa ... t_id=29899
Hegel

Post by Hegel »

2 or 3 weeks ago I flat towed my car from my parents home 300 miles from my home. it is now at my house and i'll be ordering the conversion plate and flywheel soon. the harness is cut down and once i have my fuel pump that I will order in the next few weeks i'll bolt the engine to the subie trans and give it a go..

Evil_Fiz

Post by Evil_Fiz »

Any updates?