Another Subaru swap, 71 Bay window bus

Are you one of those confused people who can't make up their mind?
gearheadgreg

Re: Another Subaru swap, 71 Bay window bus

Post by gearheadgreg »

I don't think that's a silly question at all. One of the benefits of the 'Scirocco' (incl Rabbit, Jetta, Golf, etc) radiators is that they are available in LOTS of configurations. Different widths, and remote fill (no cap) or direct fill (with cap). I'm betting these are remote fill!
Dealer for Alloy Wheels & Period H4s and Fog/Driving Lights

http://www.greggearhead.com
55superbeetle

Post by 55superbeetle »

likemise wrote:This may seem like a silly question, but how do you fill the cooling system up with coolant?

Will there be a overflow bottle in this system?
The fill bottle is plumbed into the lower, suction hose. It needs to be filled when running and there is a bleeder valve on the crossover tube that need to be opened to allow the air to escape. This is the same way a vanagon is filled. I actually just use a vacuum filling tool now but it still can be filled without one.
JSMskater

Post by JSMskater »

have you gotten a chance to drive it yet? I think the problem both you and supa run into with your earlier busses is the extra sheetmetal around the perimeter of the engine bay prevents the hot air from the compartment to dump to the underside of the car. The later busses are considerably wider in that area without all the tin and so I think you get better flow from the ears to the flow under the car
likemise

Post by likemise »

I suppose the bleeder valve has to be at the highest point in the system right?

Don't see a fill bottle in any of the pics, but would it be easier if say there's an engine hatch and the bottle be accessible from the top and be placed relatively high in the system?

Also, I see that you've got the throttle body to clear the firewall, what did you use to clear it?
And the air filter being at that location, will it be suitable for a dusty and rainy location? would it be better to use a filter box, and plumb an intake hose to that location, so changing/cleaning filters easier as well.
JSMskater

Post by JSMskater »

hey 55super, did you make that fuel return deal on the bottom of your tank? if not, wanna share where you got it? What size are the outlet bungs on it?
supaninja

Post by supaninja »

I used one of AJ Simm's fittings that threads onto the stock outlet on the fuel tank and is -6an and just welded a -6an bung on the filler tube. It made the plumbing a little easier.
'65 notch w/ a squirted type 4
http://supaninjanick.wordpress.com/
'68 "Zombie Response Vehicle" Westy
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=140387
55superbeetle

Post by 55superbeetle »

I like using a sump in injected cars so it doesn't suck air when low on fuel and turning. I just tapped the stock outlet to 1/4 npt and threaded in that little sump I made. The pump sucks out the bottom fitting and returns from the rail into the top fitting so the sump always stays full. I just used a bug FI filter pre pump.

Finally got it running decent tonight, came up to temp and the fans cycled nicely. I had some hiccups with my trigger wheel setup but I got if figured out. I normally use the 36-2-2 STI trigger wheel, this time I opted to modify the stock 7 tooth wheel into a 4-1 wheel by removing 3 teeth, just took me a couple tries to get the timing correct. Also burned ms2extra code to the micro as it's what I'm used to.

I really wonder why the microsquirt isn't more popular, such an awesome little box for the money. Even the stock Subaru ignitor worked perfectly with it.

JSMskater

Post by JSMskater »

that engine sounds like a sewing machine! great work!

hmm... I don't have a tig to do a small aluminum sump like that... I planned on running a line straight from the tank to the pump and using a return line plumbed into the gas tank fill neck.
JSMskater

Post by JSMskater »

supaninja wrote:I used one of AJ Simm's fittings that threads onto the stock outlet on the fuel tank and is -6an and just welded a -6an bung on the filler tube. It made the plumbing a little easier.
I'm using the same fitting for the tank, and was going to go straight to the pump... now I'm wondering if I should go find a sump... I'm using the moroso EFI return line kit to get plumbed into the gas fill neck.
55superbeetle

Post by 55superbeetle »

What you did will work, you just run the chance of sucking air on a long turn and a low tank. Luckily the vw bus isnt known for being a G machine so it probably wont be an issue, I'm just used to doing it this way.
56SemaRag

Post by 56SemaRag »

I am using a 1qt fuel filter with a pickup tube pulling from the bottom of the filter. A small line returns to the tank so there isn't block line pressure and returns any air generated from the lift pump and tank. It is a sump in itself without having to modify the internals of the fuel tank. The high pressure fuel pump is supplied with clean, high volume low pressure fuel.
56' Semaphore Ragtop Subaru (Build)
Subaru Engine & Transmission
Mendeola Suspension

69' Karmann Convertible (Build)
Suby AWD Driveline

05 Suby Baja Turbo - Stage 2+
07 Legacy Spec B - Stage 2
15 Suby Forester XT
JSMskater

Post by JSMskater »

56SemaRag wrote:I am using a 1qt fuel filter with a pickup tube pulling from the bottom of the filter. A small line returns to the tank so there isn't block line pressure and returns any air generated from the lift pump and tank. It is a sump in itself without having to modify the internals of the fuel tank. The high pressure fuel pump is supplied with clean, high volume low pressure fuel.
I'm having a hard time visualizing what you're trying to explain here. The filter I got is pretty big, maybe a qt, but it only has one inlet and outlet, at the top and bottom of the filter. How would I plumb this to do what you did?
56SemaRag

Post by 56SemaRag »

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... &start=135

This is page 10 of my build. The top of the filter base is tapped for return. The diagram should clear it up
56' Semaphore Ragtop Subaru (Build)
Subaru Engine & Transmission
Mendeola Suspension

69' Karmann Convertible (Build)
Suby AWD Driveline

05 Suby Baja Turbo - Stage 2+
07 Legacy Spec B - Stage 2
15 Suby Forester XT
craigvwdude

Post by craigvwdude »

That motor sure does puuurrrr! :)
55superbeetle

Post by 55superbeetle »

So I have some miles on the swap now. Seems to cool pretty good now although the weather has cooled down some. Last addition was some cool clear scoops the owner purchased from a company in the UK. With these and the decklid propped an inch it was able to cruise down the freeway without the fans coming on, so about 185 coolant temp. I'm still running just water in it so adding some coolant may help too. I might try to make some bigger scoops as adding the small ones made a huge difference. I also installed a tdi starter that really helped the starting when hot, I'm so glad I found out about being able to use it, awesome starter! The microsquirt is 90% tuned, just need to clean up the warm up enrichment. Also installed a temp gauge and warning light that is triggered by the microsquirt to come on if the temp goes above 225. Just in case he's not paying attention and something fails it will warn him before it melts.

I took a couple vids to show the acceleration. The speedo is 9-10 mph fast when compared to my Iphone but you get the idea. It's slammed and has some pretty small tires. I'm sure he's going to want a taller trans soon, you can start in 2nd gear normally and I'm sure it will pull a way taller 4th without issue.