Its officially in the works. My Hayabusa powered '67 bug

Are you one of those confused people who can't make up their mind?
ttriebler

Re: Its officially in the works. My Hayabusa powered '67 bug

Post by ttriebler »

Subie rear diffs can be a number of ratios depending on which particular car they came from.
I have seen 3.54, 3.9, 4.11, 4.4
Best to get exactly which one you need and double check the ACTUAL ratio inside.
frankysfree

Post by frankysfree »

That's exactly what I want to do.

Last paragraph he says the diff has been holding up fine after 3 yrs behind 1397cc turbo busa engine so I think I'll be fine
frankysfree

Post by frankysfree »

Getting my engine tomorrow but i cant really do much except measure until i sell the other parts i had bought when planning to build an ACVW. I need to get the Subaru diff ordered but i think ill have enough room to fit it all in there. It will be a tight fit to get the engine in longways and i might end up having to cut some out of either the firewall or the rear valance. Ill know for sure when i get the measurements done tomorrow night.
frankysfree

Post by frankysfree »

ttriebler wrote:Subie rear diffs can be a number of ratios depending on which particular car they came from.
I have seen 3.54, 3.9, 4.11, 4.4
Best to get exactly which one you need and double check the ACTUAL ratio inside.
Any resources where i can find what cars came with what ratios? Most selling on ebay dont list ratios and the ones i have seen are mostly 4.11 Since i see multiple years selling for all around the same price id like to start out with the correct ratio(3.54).
ttriebler

Post by ttriebler »

It's a dog's breakfast.
There's only one REAL way to know.
Spin it and count or take the cover plate off and count the teeth.
Devastator

Post by Devastator »

I've considered doing something similar with a GSXR 750 engine. What sort of mileage do you expect?
Devastator's Build Thread

Sandrail

2.4 liter, supercharged Chevy Ecotec

"If everything seems under control, you're just not
going fast enough."
Mario Andretti
frankysfree

Post by frankysfree »

Devastator wrote:I've considered doing something similar with a GSXR 750 engine. What sort of mileage do you expect?
Mileage is the least of my concerns... Lol. This is going to be a play toy that I'm going to turbo after I get a running, driving car. I would expect it would get just slightly less than the stock bike withnthe car properly geared though
frankysfree

Post by frankysfree »

I havent ordered the subie diff yet as its pretty long and im trying to work out if i can fit it in the stock body of the bug with the engine. I may have to change plans and make an adapter plate to bolt the busa engine to the vw transmission and an extension shaft to mate the two.
Plasticfantastic

Post by Plasticfantastic »

I want to say the Foresters had the higher ratios but ttriebler would be the expert in that info, and I would think you need as high a ratio as you can find to offset the whole weight/torque problem? Either way, this is a very cool project! I hope you stay after it!

Jeff-
ttriebler

Post by ttriebler »

Like I said - there is a real mix n match of Subie diff ratios out there - from 3.54 to 4.44 - depends on year and model and even then I think there's a lot of Mix and Match. Most of them have a sticker on the case of the diff showing the ratio inside - you will just need to do some searching and maybe visit some breakers yards.

The STi Subies tend to have a 4.11 ratio R180 diff (which can take a hell of a lot of abuse). I'm sure there is also a 'short nose' version of this used in Nissan trucks or some other vehicle. Would certainly make it easier to fit into your project. Seems like a ton of work hooking up the Busa motor to a nasty old VW trans when all you want is a diff.
frankysfree

Post by frankysfree »

Sorry for no updates. I actually decided to stick with the vw transaxle and i have been in talks with a company that has built the adapter plate to bolt the busa to the t1 tranny in the past and should have it ordered in the next couple days.

Just sold my parts i had bought when planning on building a vw engine so i can proceed with work now.
Plasticfantastic

Post by Plasticfantastic »

Wow, it will be interesting to see what that looks like!

Jeff-
frankysfree

Post by frankysfree »

They can have it done in roughly one week so i think im going to go with them since it will save me a ton of R+D and i dont have the mill or lathe to machine the plate(which they will be making out of aluminum), etc.
frankysfree

Post by frankysfree »

Its official. Im going with the pre-made mount. Just got off the phone with them over in UK(I love google voice... 0.02c minute) and they will begin on it on monday.