Deserter GS to Suby EJ20 Turbo

Are you one of those confused people who can't make up their mind?
GS guy

Re: Deserter GS to Suby EJ20 Turbo

Post by GS guy » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:20 am

Looking at the original PCV tube, I couldn't remember where the 2nd inlet was located. I dug out an old pic showing the original set-up:

And you know what? My system only has One PCV system inlet! You can see it on the right hand side with the open T fitting. I never realized before now that my system differed from the diagram in that detail. There are no other inlet paths as originally installed on my JDM Subaru (Legacy) engine.

So the diagram is a little off from my OEM layout. That was an old diagram I found from a Google search, I always though it was pretty universal for the turbo engine layout.

Here's another view:

Sorry about the confusion - and the restrictor is in the T fitting coming off the main cross-over line going into the F connector.

Vancouver98STi

Re: Deserter GS to Suby EJ20 Turbo

Post by Vancouver98STi » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:38 pm

GS guy wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:00 am
The restrictor is positioned exactly as you have it depicted in the sketches, and flow paths as I believe they take during both operating modes. Nice depictions! The restrictor size is a #1 drill, 0.228" exactly (nice snug fit in the OEM T fitting hole).
I can't take full credit for the depictions I posted. I weeded through multiple versions found online, and I then added my guess as to the location of the restrictor. Thanks for the info on the size of the restrictor opening!
GS guy wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:20 am
Looking at the original PCV tube, I couldn't remember where the 2nd inlet was located... And you know what? My system only has One PCV system inlet! There are no other inlet paths as originally installed on my JDM Subaru (Legacy) engine.
Heh heh... that's pretty funny that you'd forget how the original PCV system was set up. I suppose I can't say for sure how mine is set up either, but my excuse is that I've only had the car for a short time and I've not yet disassembled the PCV system (or even looked at it closely). :) Thanks for posting the additional pictures. It'll be interesting for me to see how different the EJ20K PCV system is on my Impreza STi compared to how it originally was on the Legacy that your engine came from.

Piledriver wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:28 pm
Closely examining a VW 1.8T PCV diagram is suggested.
After pouring over so many Subaru forums looking at this stuff, I don't know if I want to look at anymore PCV system diagrams. :shock: I think I'm starting to get a handle on how to "tweak" the Subaru system to suit my needs, and I don't want to get confused again. :wink:
-Patrick