67 ej??? Powered, mendeola s2 bug project

Are you one of those confused people who can't make up their mind?
bad67bug

Re: 67 ej??? Powered, mendeola s2 bug project

Post by bad67bug »

Ok, let me see what Todd has come up with before I make any decisions. I will let you know.
noslzzp

Post by noslzzp »

56SemaRag wrote:The cost for the laser cut setup is usually around $100 plus any material. I figured with several people combining Mendeolas and Subaru setups I would just make a few extras to keep costs down. I was going to let the three extra sets I have go for $75 each + shipping. Since it is a flat plate design, it has to be welded. The advantage with this design is it allows you to set your engine and trans exactly where you want it.
My transaxle arrived and Mendeola is working on placement right, would these work on the H6 motor?
Introducing the Basilari 306R - '58 low light Ghia, 300HP+ boxer 6
http://basilari.com/
56SemaRag

Post by 56SemaRag »

noslzzp wrote:My transaxle arrived and Mendeola is working on placement right, would these work on the H6 motor?
They should fit no problem. Several Suby sites talk about doing a swap with the EG/EZ engine into an EJ car and the mounts or crossbar need no modification.
56' Semaphore Ragtop Subaru (Build)
Subaru Engine & Transmission
Mendeola Suspension

69' Karmann Convertible (Build)
Suby AWD Driveline

05 Suby Baja Turbo - Stage 2+
07 Legacy Spec B - Stage 2
15 Suby Forester XT
bad67bug

Post by bad67bug »

Still no progress on the '67. I did get my '62 back on the road though.

I also got into the group buy for the Subamount. I received the gear kit today, still waiting for the Subamount. It should be here next week or so. There was a small problem with my Subaflanges but Todd is already on top of it.

Have the OBX diff on order and going to order the hardware kit. Have to find a local shop to set up the trans for me. Also need to order a clutch and flywheel. What is everybody doing for axles with these extended flanges? Don't really feel comfortable with the cutting and sleeving method, can Sway-a-way make custom length type 2 axles?
56SemaRag

Post by 56SemaRag »

bad67bug wrote: Don't really feel comfortable with the cutting and sleeving method, can Sway-a-way make custom length type 2 axles?
I called Sway Away a few weeks ago and they said they can make them. I ended up switching over to 930's and Todd was awesome in that he exchanged out my Type 2 Subaflanges.
Mendeola Suspension

Suby AWD Driveline

15 Suby Forester XT
RonW

Post by RonW »

56SemaRag wrote:
bad67bug wrote: Don't really feel comfortable with the cutting and sleeving method, can Sway-a-way make custom length type 2 axles?
I called Sway Away a few weeks ago and they said they can make them. I ended up switching over to 930's and Todd was awesome in that he exchanged out my Type 2 Subaflanges.
that is awesome, i was kinda stumped if i go with a suby tranny how i was gonna mat the 930 cv end to the early 912 outer cv end. i'll give them a jingle. now if subaru gears could make an outer flange for the 912 to 930, that would just make things too easy ;) only think left would be figuring out conversion to hydraulic clutch with a tilton 3 pedal set up.

bad67bug - love seeing your conversion thread getting started!
GS guy

Post by GS guy »

Ron - If you pull your axles, Todd at Precision Alloy Ltd can re-work them to fit the 930 CV. Highly recommended.
I decided to stay with T2 CV's as I wasn't planning to get over 250 or so HP out of my combination. Those 930 CVs are a bunch larger (and heavier) than the T2, something to consider.

SAW has a wide variety of axle lengths that fit T2 CVs to choose from, should be something there that'll work off the shelf?
bad67bug

Post by bad67bug »

According to subarugears web site, the axles need to be 11 5/8". The shortes t2 IRS axles on the saw web site are 15 5/8". I don't know if they have all their off the shelf lengths listed on their web site though.

All this 930 cv talk is making me second guess my t2 choice. How much hp/torque can t2 cv's handle? I was under the impression that 930's were overkill and used more for off road/ high angle applications. Will t2 cv's hold up to a 400hp (eventually) subaru motor?
bad67bug

Post by bad67bug »

Finally got some garage time to work on this thing. As I was looking for shops to set up my transmission for me I began to look at what was actually involved in replacing the pinion shaft and flipping the diff. It appears to be a pretty straight forward job that requires a few specialty tools. I decided to build it myself. As I was shopping for the Subaru pinion depth gauge, Todd released his version and it is already on the way. While I wait for my diff and the tool I began the process.

Here's the transmission before.

First I removed the center diff and housing.

Then I split the case and removed the pinion shaft.

Then I removed the inner pinion shaft from the outer gear shaft being careful to keep track of bearings and washers. The pinion shaft just slides right out after removing a 27mm nut. The gears all stay in tact, so if your not changing gear sets the process should be pretty simple.

Comparison of Subarugears pinion (right) and the original. The washer that holds the bearing on is a pressed fit. I don't have a press, so I used a little bit of heat to remove and install it.

New ring gear (left) compared to original.

Pinion shaft reinstalled along with Subaspool.

Now I have to cut the center diff housing and get it welded up. Still waiting for the obx diff and hardware, should be here this week.

Time to start shopping for a clutch and flywheel so I can get power train mounted!
56SemaRag

Post by 56SemaRag »

bad67bug wrote:All this 930 cv talk is making me second guess my t2 choice. How much hp/torque can t2 cv's handle? I was under the impression that 930's were overkill and used more for off road/ high angle applications. Will t2 cv's hold up to a 400hp (eventually) subaru motor?
Well I switched because the 930's are stronger than the type II's. I hadn't purchased axles or CV's yet so I made the jump and glad I did. Not concerned with rotating weight as much as axle/CV breakage and talking with the gents at Sway-A-Way solidified the change.

The original 930 made between 260 and 330 HP, so as CS Guy stated earlier 250 HP seems like a reasonable limit for Type II's.
Mendeola Suspension

Suby AWD Driveline

15 Suby Forester XT
ttriebler

Post by ttriebler »

bad67bug wrote:According to subarugears web site, the axles need to be 11 5/8". The shortes t2 IRS axles on the saw web site are 15 5/8". I don't know if they have all their off the shelf lengths listed on their web site though. <br sab="914"><br sab="915">All this 930 cv talk is making me second guess my t2 choice. How much hp/torque can t2 cv's handle? I was under the impression that 930's were overkill and used more for off road/ high angle applications. Will t2 cv's hold up to a 400hp (eventually) subaru motor?
Not true - on the Subarugears website, in both places that refer to the axles - they are 15 5/8". Exactly what you can purchase off the shelf from sway-away or other VW shops. Makes life easy! :D
bad67bug

Post by bad67bug »

Now you guys have me second guessing my type 2 cv decision. Haha. Honestly I have been going back and forth between 930 and type 2 since the beginning. I just don't want to be sorry down the road that I went with the type 2s.

What stub axles are you guys running?

Todd on your "mounts" page it says:

"Additional items needed from other suppliers: Type 2 CV inner joints. 296mm (11 5/8") drive axles. These will need to be shortened versions of the 396mm (15 5/8") axles or custom made units."

http://www.subarugears.com/Vehicles.html

Is this information correct? It would be a lot easier and cost effective to order off the shelf axles!
ttriebler

Post by ttriebler »

Sorry, was referring to the axles appropriate or standard Subaflanges which are 15 5/8".
You are correct, you need 11 5/8" axles for the extended Subaflanges.

Unfortunately these are not standard....yet!

Don't sweat it on the 930 v type 2 CV's. You won't have any problems - wheelspin will be your fuse.
bad67bug

Post by bad67bug »

Ok, I looked in the saw catalog and they do have a listing for custom length t-2 axles. Just have to call and get a price. Since I already have some money invested in type 2 parts I guess I will stick with them!

Anybody looking for 930 cv's I came across this http://www.desertkarts.com/item80957.ctlg I emailed them and they said they are gkn brand. Seems like a good deal for German 930 joints.
56SemaRag

Post by 56SemaRag »

bad67bug wrote:Anybody looking for 930 cv's I came across this http://www.desertkarts.com/item80957.ctlg I emailed them and they said they are gkn brand. Seems like a good deal for German 930 joints.
I am, that looks like a great find. Thanks a bunch I'll have to check them out.
Mendeola Suspension

Suby AWD Driveline

15 Suby Forester XT