56' Vdub-aru...VW,Mendeola,Subaru,Porsche,BMW..the works!

Are you one of those confused people who can't make up their mind?
56SemaRag

Re: 56' Vdub-aru...VW,Mendeola,Subaru,Porsche,BMW..the works

Post by 56SemaRag »

Talked with Kevin from Mendeola today and he might be able to get my new rear arms by the end of the year. I had interference with the 930 CV's and shock springs at near full compression.

Finished welding up the axle clearing cut outs of the transmission horns this weekend. Sent my pedal assembly off to Pedal Werks where Scott is going to replace bushings and machine it to accept 64-72 and 73+ clutch pedal shafts. They are slightly different from one another and I don't know which one will work best with the OEM Subaru salve cylinder. It looks like he does great work.

http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/t39 ... 42f14b.jpg
http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/t39 ... c1ccc3.jpg
56' Semaphore Ragtop Subaru (Build)
Subaru Engine & Transmission
Mendeola Suspension

69' Karmann Convertible (Build)
Suby AWD Driveline

05 Suby Baja Turbo - Stage 2+
07 Legacy Spec B - Stage 2
15 Suby Forester XT
coolrydes

Post by coolrydes »

Just finished the build on your arms now off to powder coating..... should see them in about 1.5 to 2 weeks if they stick to the schedule
Kevin "Coolrydes" Zagar
MENDEOLA SIGNATURE MOTORS

56SemaRag

Post by 56SemaRag »

Thank you Kevin, looking forward to the new arms!

Today I received my pedal cluster from PedalWerks. It looks and operates smooth. Unlike my original cluster I sent off, there is no radial or linear slop at all in the clutch or brake pedals in this later model he hooked me up with. He also included another clutch pedal shaft from a different year to make sure I can get this hydraulic clutch thing working smoothly. Very satisfied with the work of Scott.

A note on the SACO master cylinder. When I received the unit it had two 1/4-18 NPT adapters that screw into the housing. Oddly the adapters only rotated about one half a revolution before there was considerable resistance. I checked the threads and they were indeed 18 threads per inch but the hole was too small to really get the adapter safely in there. Had to drill it out and run a straight pipe tap to remove a bit of material. The fittings that came with the SACO were meant for a barbed inlet line and AN-3 outlet line. I converted them both to accept VW standard 4.5mm ISO bubble flare.

SACO MC before
SACO MC after
Mendeola Suspension

Suby AWD Driveline

15 Suby Forester XT
coolrydes

Post by coolrydes »

I've got your rear arms back from powder coat. Let me know if you want to ship the others back or if you want to come swap them out. Talk to you soon. Sorry for going through the forums, I just dont have your info in front of me.....
Kevin "Coolrydes" Zagar

56SemaRag

Post by 56SemaRag »

No problem, I will ship them out this week and send an email you with the tracking info. Awesome! Looking forward to them :)
Mendeola Suspension

Suby AWD Driveline

15 Suby Forester XT
SuperRSi

Post by SuperRSi »

I have been busy working and not building my car like I should be. Kevin will my Plus 2 arms have problems with the 930 CVs? As I am using a 930 transaxle I won't be changing CV's. Please let me know if you still have my email and phone number.
SemaRag I still need to stop in and see your build during one of my Dallas trips.

Thanks
56SemaRag

Post by 56SemaRag »

SuperRSi wrote: SemaRag I still need to stop in and see your build during one of my Dallas trips.

Thanks
You bet, let me know!
Mendeola Suspension

Suby AWD Driveline

15 Suby Forester XT
SuperRSi

Post by SuperRSi »

I was planning on installing the rear suspension this weekend so I came here for get started back up inspiration. I will call Kevin tomorrow and see if I need new rear arms too! I guess better to find out now vs down the road. How is your build going?
56SemaRag

Post by 56SemaRag »

Build is going slow right now. Transitioning to a better job and taking care of some family issues took up most of this holiday, but I should have some time this weekend to break down my rear arms and send them to Kevin. Hoping to finalize the hydraulic clutch. Don't think anyone has done the SACO master to Subaru slave cylinder combo so it should be interesting. Once I have my arms back I can measure and send off for the custom length axles.

Just ordered the back issues of hotVW's that covers pan replacement so I can finish the pan and send it off to powder coating. Mine are in okay shape, just don't feel like doing all the patch work necessary. Also am looking at sourcing some nice seats. On the fence of what type I want, but I do want adjust ability and heat. With new floor pans it should be easy to construct or fit seat rails for whatever type I end up with.

Hope y'all had a pleasant holiday!
Mendeola Suspension

Suby AWD Driveline

15 Suby Forester XT
noslzzp

Post by noslzzp »

56SemaRag wrote:Also am looking at sourcing some nice seats. On the fence of what type I want, but I do want adjust ability and heat. With new floor pans it should be easy to construct or fit seat rails for whatever type I end up with.
I have a nice set out of an Audi S4. They'd probably work well in a bug being a bit taller than the Audi TT's I have in my ghia. Power everything, heat, super comfy (big guy friendly) and priced to sell! :)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/290837444055?ss ... 1555.l2649
Introducing the Basilari 306R - '58 low light Ghia, 300HP+ boxer 6
http://basilari.com/
coolrydes

Post by coolrydes »

SuperRSi wrote:I was planning on installing the rear suspension this weekend so I came here for get started back up inspiration. I will call Kevin tomorrow and see if I need new rear arms too! I guess better to find out now vs down the road. How is your build going?
Sorry Randy I have not been on here for a couple days.
Your custom +2's will not have any issues with 930s.
Kevin "Coolrydes" Zagar

SuperRSi

Post by SuperRSi »

Thanks Kevin! I am busy on a Seagal flick now but will dive back into it in 10 days. I have some new shots of the AWIC and turbo/intake conversions on Nasioc Conversions - Meyers Manx...
ambrynmc

Post by ambrynmc »

Hey Sema,

I could have sworn I asked this before but I can't remember...what clutch are you going to use?

I've looked at all of the different brands and nothing really sticks out.
1971 Truckaru (WRX eng/trans powered Domus flatbed bug-truck) - build thread
56SemaRag

Post by 56SemaRag »

ambrynmc wrote:Hey Sema,

I could have sworn I asked this before but I can't remember...what clutch are you going to use?

I've looked at all of the different brands and nothing really sticks out.
Kind of a toss up between OEM and ACT. Do I want the predetermined slip with a smooth clutch for protection or just go right of the bat with a better gripper? A bridge I have yet to cross

Been really busy at work which is a great thing. This weekend I was able to re install the Mendeola rear arms from Kevin and it looks like there will be plenty of clearance for the 930 CV's 8)

Purchased some GKN/Lobro CV's and had time to race prep them this weekend. Not really that time consuming but cleans them up much like the OBX diff. Even though they were GKN, they still needed some edges smoothed out. Purchased a polishing stone that is made of rubber with embedded diamonds for about $8 and went to work.

Polishing Stone
Original CV Groves
First pass for clarity of surface
Finsihed, plus the previous two stages

Waiting for a few more parts then ordering my axles, finishing out the hydro clutch and finally making the the E-brake fully functional with the 944 rears.
Mendeola Suspension

Suby AWD Driveline

15 Suby Forester XT
ambrynmc

Post by ambrynmc »

56SemaRag wrote:
Kind of a toss up between OEM and ACT. Do I want the predetermined slip with a smooth clutch for protection or just go right of the bat with a better gripper? A bridge I have yet to cross
Darn, I was hoping that you would have this figured out for me... :lol:

I've been leaning toward a Exedy Stage 1. Supposed to be close to stock in feel with better grip. South Bend seems to have a lot of happy customers and they are fairly reasonable (cost wise). Decisions, decisions....I'll have to look at ACT again.
56SemaRag wrote: Purchased a polishing stone that is made of rubber with embedded diamonds for about $8 and went to work.
That is a nice little bit, where did you find it?
1971 Truckaru (WRX eng/trans powered Domus flatbed bug-truck) - build thread