912+STi v8 Spec-C motor

Are you one of those confused people who can't make up their mind?
supaninja

Re: 912+STi v8 Spec-C motor

Post by supaninja »

I'm glad you found it.
'65 notch w/ a squirted type 4
http://supaninjanick.wordpress.com/
'68 "Zombie Response Vehicle" Westy
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=140387
GS guy

Post by GS guy »

Good find!
The bad news is I was planning on runing my top hose straight down off a 90* elbow coming off the water manifold. I also noticed the temp sensor is positioned near the top of the manifold. I might have to plumb in some kind of bleeder connection off the manifold, as none of the other ports are as high as the temperature sensor location.... DOH!

Maybe I can re-do the throttle body coolant line to come off the top of the manifold (instead of the OEM side position)? That would provide a built-in bleeder port that should purge out any air pockets.
RonW

Post by RonW »

Spoke to a buddy with a variation of a similar set up in a 914 and after a little ribbing with "told ya so," he described how he purges his by cracking the hose that is on the end of the heater line that loops back the to T stat. he said he takes a long screw drive and once its up to temp opens slightly and it will blow off steam like a tea kettle and once water starts to come out its done and just tightens it back up. may try to figure out how to put little bleed valve in there somewhere to make it easier.

well onto the next project for now, exhausting the radiator hot air out of the front bay so i dont have an eternal heater going for the summer and to keep it off of the fuel cell.

back together and ready for testing. fingers crossed.
912R + STi 2.0 Turbo JDM v8
supaninja

Post by supaninja »

That shroud looks like it will do the trick.
'65 notch w/ a squirted type 4
http://supaninjanick.wordpress.com/
'68 "Zombie Response Vehicle" Westy
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=140387
RonW

Post by RonW »

quick run around town after cleaning the kitchen up and it is working beautifully! we'll see how she does on a hot day and continuous flogging.
RonW

Post by RonW »

Now that cooling is essentially done, air is managed out of car and staying cool, time to start on the TY758 WRX tranny. Here are a few shots taken during the tear down, pretty simple, lots of case through bolts, only 4 internal bolts, a few love taps and she opened right up :wink: . Btw, the new LSD pictured is a factory JDM unit and will receive the Subarugears reverse ring and pinion and outside will get a 930 to Subaru flange.

RonW

Post by RonW »

Finished up trimming the new nose cone and plugging it up. Ready for assembly. Still need to pick up the ring/pinion, flange and lock out from Ambryn in the next week or 2 but wanted to compare my spare 4 speed 901 before I gave up on the 901. It nearly identical!!! Overall, Bell hosing face to tip of shift rod housing 73.5 vs 74.0 cm (Porsche to Subaru respectively), bell housing face to flange center 16.5 vs 20 cm (Porsche to Subaru respectively). My only fear is the actual position on the shift rod at 10 o’clock vs 6 but im sure I can make it work.

sullivap

Post by sullivap »

This is getting very interesting!
RonW

Post by RonW »

Update:

well, not much of an update other than hooking up with Ambryn and Humble this past weekend to pick up my stuff I ordered from from Subaru gears. Boy, you get a couple of us together amped up on coffee at 8:30 in the morning and we'll chat like hens in a hen house. I got some great ideas from those 2 and ready to start moving forward.

first, those gears are AWESOME! thanks todd. beside the great work that todd did, it was sent to Weddle for the REM treatment and its like a mirror finish. these things are beautiful, and believe or not, once the case is bolted together, i NEVER what to see their beauty again!
I bolted the ring to the factory LSD and put it in the case half but looks like since it was clearance with the open diff and factory ring, it rubs a little so i'll have to clearance it a touch more.

second, after some brain storming, the guys recommended instead of the idea with the hydraulic release bearing, to use an aftermarket clutch slave and relocate from the top of the bell housing to the top of the case so it pulls. great idea and would be a lot easier...and cheaper

i know i ordered the 930 conversion flanges but looking at other options becuause of clearance issues at the outer flange wont allow for 930 outers with early 911/912 short wheel base trailing arms. i knew this but got them for a possible a future conversion with modified long wheel base arms. I know the 914 guys commonly use suby inner CV, an conversion axle with Suby inner and Porsche 914/944 outer cv. this conversion axle with appropriately matching splines are made by Sway Away.

On a whim I went to a local Porsche wrecking yard to do a little research. As it turns out, 912, 914 and 944 axles all have the same spline count and dimensions. So now I just need Sway Away to make the same axle that the 914 guys are using but to my shorter length (~10 cm shorter and no, thats not "what she said " :lol: )

here is a photo of a 914 axle with a 912 cv at one end and part of a 944 cv at the other, they are all the same. the owner didnt even know that and he's had the shop for 30 years.

RonW

Post by RonW »

got a chance to start pulling the bearing off the open diff and install them on the LSD keep the matched bearing/race together.

then pull the gears and bearings off the original pinion and install it on the new subarugears pinion

bolted the pinion assembly to the case and used the pinion depth tool and with the original 2 shims, nearly perfect. i'll have to get some gear marking compound to check the pattern this week and install the seals/gaskets

Last edited by RonW on Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
KR250

Post by KR250 »

Nice progress! One question, where did you pick up the gaskets/seals from? I'm just starting to do the conversion on my transmission.
RonW

Post by RonW »

Ambryn sent me an excel spreadsheet with the gasket and seals with their corresponding p/n. he also recommended flatironsimports.com (they WILL ask for vin :roll: but i guess they all do that.) I was able to gently pry the pinion shaft bearing off wo distorting it so everything is re used since the tranny only had 30,000 miles on it.
RonW

Post by RonW »

marked up and checked pattern with the stock shims that came on it. reverse r/p now installed. what do you guys think? seems close but perhaps needs a slightly thinner shim to move the pinion deeper.

RonW

Post by RonW »

Edit: too much reading, confusing me. Moving patter w pinion shim and left to right in carrier. Seems like pinoion shims would move the pattern in out from toe/heel. But then I read about if you move one in then it moves the other out??? Then u need to adjust backlash?
CobraJet

Post by CobraJet »

That looks pretty good to me. The wear pattern looks just about center of the gear tooth, which is what I was always taught I should aim for.