DIY - 1990-1994 1/2 EJ22 Subaru Conversion with stock ECU

Are you one of those confused people who can't make up their mind?
nilza

Re: DIY - 1990-1994 1/2 EJ22 Subaru Conversion with stock EC

Post by nilza »

4 3/4 " from mount surface to the bottom of the sump plug (4 3/8 without)

should also explain that the picture of the template is in mm because i can't get my head around measuring volume in Cu in
itawolf

Post by itawolf »

Ah very nice -wish I had this 6 years ago on my first bugaru

I hope you keep it going very nice

Are u going turbo??
RET Marine 0317 --with VW on the lobe!!
Lots of iron in the fire
TimS

Post by TimS »

Are you talkin' to me?

I could certainly see where a turbo for the top end would compliment the torque on the bottom end. I bet the turbo would be kicking in just as the bottom end grunt was giving up.

I'd probably need bigger injectors and maybe a different ECU for turbo (and bigger brakes, and more suspension, etc, etc, etc...). Though the other morning my car was covered in snow and it was in the teens (F) and was glad to have the factory ECU. It still starts within 1 second of cranking just like summertime.
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
nilza

Post by nilza »

quick note for everyone, the N/A thermostate housing next to the turbo housing.
Great for changing the direction of water pipes,

BajaBug222

Post by BajaBug222 »

Very nice write up. Has the gears in the head turning now.
Ghia Nut

Post by Ghia Nut »

So, after a long hiatus, I'm back to THE LOOM. I'm finding that this thing is nothing but a tangled mess. Its so much work tracing down the wires, I am having fun though, its relaxing and gets my mind off work.

My biggest hurdle right now is Im finding the the three yellow plugs of the four share some wires, I'm trying to keep the loom as stock as possible, but I don't mind soldering some stuff. Think I should cut the shared wires?
TimS

Post by TimS »

Ghia Nut wrote:My biggest hurdle right now is Im finding the the three yellow plugs of the four share some wires, I'm trying to keep the loom as stock as possible, but I don't mind soldering some stuff. Think I should cut the shared wires?
Glad to see you back at it. IIRC, there are a few shared grounds/shields that can and will be different from loom to loom. Zup-ta you if you cut them or not, but if they are the aluminum shielding wires, I had a hard time soldering them and had to crimp instead.
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
Ghia Nut

Post by Ghia Nut »

Im thinking those are the big gray wires, they are thick no? Those arent giving me problems yet.

Also your diagram/wiring board is one for an engine with a normal manifold correct? Not one for a reverse manifold?
Ghia Nut

Post by Ghia Nut »

Also, how are you running the wires from the battery area to the engine compartment? Through the heater channel?
TimS

Post by TimS »

Yes, big grey wires have aluminum shielding.

Yes, for normal manifold. On e you get into reversing the manifold, you could probably pick which side you want the plugs.

I ran battery cables through the factory hole in the body with a grommet.
Iguana

Post by Iguana »

If you are having issues with the tangle you may find it easier to pop out the pins from the plugs one at a time and un-tangle them.

The process I use to do a loom is as follows:
- Remove loom from car
- cut off all the plugs I don't need
- strip the loom and remove all the now loose wires, as I do this I add some tap to things such as the AFM / Ignitor wires to keep them from getting out of hand.
- lay out the loom with ECU / AFM/ Ignitor / Manifold plgs clear of each other.
- Un-Pin each of the ECU connectors and re-pin them once the wire is untangled and work my way through.
- once neat re-loom it.

If I am shortening it then I unpin the none-ecu plugs ( cause I can't find new terminals for the ECU Plugs) , cut the wire and put new terminals on. I avoid cut and solder if possible as it has a tendency to cause issues. If you must join things then use bare crimp joiners and heat shrink.

Be very careful when you strip the wires as if you add any wire touch fatigue points and then solder the hard back of the solder will cause the wire to break and this will result in many hours of frustration chasing issues in a loomed loom.
Buy a Kit, Build a Dream
TimS

Post by TimS »

Yes! What he said.

Where did you find the connectors for the plugs? I did find a "dealer kit", way back when, that had the tools and connectors for the ECU plugs but it was like $300 or so, at that time.

Thanks for the info Iguana.
Fridge

Post by Fridge »

Hi Guys,
I am new to this forum and I joined becuase I recently started a conversion of a 2003 EJ25 into a 1966 Porsche 912. I am working on the wiring harness now and this thread has been very helpful so thanks for the good info. I would also be interested in where to obtain the connectors if anyone knows. I like the idea of not soldering too much. I did this on a motorcycle harness a while back and having the connectors worked out well. Oh, and yes I will be starting a build thread here as I get into it and have some picures to post of my progress.
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

Ebay has a lot of the connectors. Denso and Sumitomo are the brands for the subaru connectors I believe.
Iguana

Post by Iguana »

I got my connectors of a wholesale supplier I will see if I can find the details. I could only get one type though which is why I had to repin at the afm / igniter and engine plug ends and not the ecu ends.
Buy a Kit, Build a Dream