DIY - 1990-1994 1/2 EJ22 Subaru Conversion with stock ECU

Are you one of those confused people who can't make up their mind?

Re: DIY - 1990-1994 1/2 EJ22 Subaru Conversion with stock EC

Post by 883 »

Or... if you use the subi tranny
No plan survives contact with the enemy.
Buggin_74

Post by Buggin_74 »

ezytroopy wrote:Can you use the subi stater motor?

I do with mine, stock super beetle Trans with a cranky kit
Was the only starter that could handle my high compression ej25.

1974 Germanlook 1303 Suba-Beetle
Subaru EJ25 Boost R 17", 4 Wheel discs, Topline suspension and A/C
Dazoc

Post by Dazoc »

Needs some help on the relay wiring, I have saved the 4 Subi relays. On the ignition relay using 2 relays as one, I am not seeing which wire to use and which to skip if I use the picture on the first page the feed out side shows 5 outs so to speak. I know it's something that is simple that I am not understanding. But not much of an electrical guy.

Thanks!
no1clyde

Post by no1clyde »

Dazoc wrote:Needs some help on the relay wiring, I have saved the 4 Subi relays. On the ignition relay using 2 relays as one, I am not seeing which wire to use and which to skip if I use the picture on the first page the feed out side shows 5 outs so to speak. I know it's something that is simple that I am not understanding. But not much of an electrical guy.

Thanks!
What I learned about those relays is when you pull the relay out and look at the connectors you will see 2 that are copper colored and 2 that are kind of silver colored, the copper ones are the work side, one gets power and the other sends it o the job and the other 2 are control and if it is ground controlled one gets power all the time and the ground controls it and if it is power controlled one gets grounded and the power controls it, most computer things are ground control. I hope that helps.

Ed
Prtexx

Post by Prtexx »

Ed, I don't use the black relays I use the round Subaru relays from the harness. the brown main and fuel are there but add a fan. The heavy wires are load in and out and the thin wire signal and ground. done 10 so far this way with no problems.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve
67 VW roadster
36 Buick 3 window coupe blown 350
87 Syncro 2.5 Subaru
84 Westy
77 Westy 2.5 5 speed
FB VW Subaru Conversions
TimS

Post by TimS »

It's not letting me edit the original post, but here is a snippet I need to add directly after the ECU pinouts...

The only other sensor wires you should have left that are loose from the other plugs of the harness are:

Blue and Red/Green from engine plug to igniter.
Green White from engine plug to oil pressure light
White/green as the second wire going to the dash for the temperature sensor.
Black/White from alternator to dash light.
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
TimS

Post by TimS »

Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
TimS

Post by TimS »

This link will be active in a bit... It is a video of how to pull the harness - crude, but effective.

TimS

Post by TimS »

Time so far... 3 hours to pull harness (if that - I took video of the process), 2 hours separating and cleaning harness (while watching movie), two sittings for a total of 6 hours to get it to where it is now including measurements and making board. Not too shabby.

Wires to tie into car include:

At starter - 12v (red/red/yellow/blue - 4 wires - Crimped and soldered into round terminal), hot when starting (red/yellow - 1/4" spade female)

Just behind firewall - fuel pump output (red/blue fused 10A), fans output (black yellow fused 20A)

To Dash -

Blabk/blue small - tachometer signal
Black/Blue big - Alternator light (From 12V to incandescent light then from light to Black/Blue)
White/Green temp gauge signal
Red/Green temp gauge ground
Green/White - oil pressure (From 12V to indicator light then from light to Green/White)
Red/Blue - engine light (From 12V to indicator light then from light to Red/Blue)
Red/Yellow to ignition switch "on" (10A)

This harness is fused already (ign relay 20a, fans 20a, fuel pump 10a) and gets power from the starter lug. Plug and play.

Replace single wire temperature sender (12 mm wrench) with 1/8" NPT 27 threaded sender from your gauge. You will find it on the front of the coolant pipe on top of the engine near the left side (when mounted in bug). If your sender has a 1/4" male spade connector it will plug right into the harness.

The belt you will need for alternator is k050275 or equivalent.

ullr

Post by ullr »

I am currently doing a 98 EJ22 into a 73 westy and I am wondering, the wire that came off the starter on the subie (white/red) labeled starter switch.

Is that just a signal wire from the starter? I'm not really sure here and don't want to fry anything.
TimS

Post by TimS »

Yes. From pin86 - hot when cranking.
curshe

Post by curshe »

Another OOOPs meant to post here to start with guess I fat fingered the new post instead so copied and pasted. Sheesh! :roll:
oops! Tried to copy and paste picture of the relay diagram but no go, so will try to explain in my convoluted way
I have power coming back through my switch on line everything checks out as far as the schematic goes but the double ignition relay, I assumed there, it shows one side powered and grounded but I figured if working in tandem they would both need to be so I wired them as such, is this where the power is feeding back?
if just connecting the battery there is no power all is good connect the switch on relays click and there is power, can pull it and engine will quit but switch on line still has power the ecu blinking its little green eye at me telling o2 sensor problems (not hooked up).
The diode is in the right order leg color and arrow.
Will keep digging but was wondering if you had encountered this? Thanks
W.C.(Curt) Acree

Oh and looking at diagram the ignition relays cant feed back anyway so on to other things but still would like to know if wiring in tandem is proper. Thanks
curshe

Post by curshe »

Re-read first paragraph under diagram one switch same power on wiring is right, never mind. ;)
ullr

Re: DIY - 1990-1994 1/2 EJ22 Subaru Conversion with stock ECU

Post by ullr »

I've worked my way through my 98 EJ22 conversion and got it running. It was suffering from a rough idle that I tracked down to a leak in the intake manifold. Now that I have fixed the leak by tightening down the throttle body. It runs like crap, blows black smoke and won't rev up, just wants to die.

Heres my question- what happened it ran and idle and rev'd before I fixed the leak now I can't even drive it. I have an OBD II scan tool and pull a bunch of info out of the computer. Is there something that I should be looking for?

No new codes just the two about fuel temp and pressure since I don't have those hooked up.
maurice

Re: DIY - 1990-1994 1/2 EJ22 Subaru Conversion with stock ECU

Post by maurice »

Do you have your idle air control valve properly hooked up?