1303 subaru 4x4

Are you one of those confused people who can't make up their mind?
User avatar
ttriebler
Posts: 405
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:51 am
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Re: 1303 subaru 4x4

Post by ttriebler » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:35 am

petew wrote:looks really good. I reckon this might be the first of many such conversions. you will need to watch weight distribution though. I also be interested to see what you do with the centre diff. is there any way to make sure it puts most of the bias towards the engine end, coz in an impreza it does the opposite from what I understand.
I weighed all the bits that get added to make the 4wd conversion. It adds 50kg to the front of the car.

The centre diff torque bias is actually 50/50 in a lot of subarus, the earlier liberty turbos particularly. The whole issue of front/rear torque bias is irrelevant imho even if its 60 front/40 rear as thats how most modern fwd based 4wd systems work - primarily fwd with some power to the rear. And the beauty of the Subaru system is it always sends power to the wheel(s) with the most traction. If the front wheels spin the power shifts to the rear.

Anyway, the proof will be in the driving.....
Image

User avatar
surfbeetle
Posts: 354
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:20 am

Re: 1303 subaru 4x4

Post by surfbeetle » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:51 am

Imagine the possibilities this opens up... I think it would be cool on a Cal Look street bug to have all wheel drive, but I would want big tires in the rear and small in the front, one of the diff gear ratios would have to change to compensate for different tire sizes. Of course on an off road car, tires are typically the same size and it's not that critical. I'm just dreaming out loud...

User avatar
Jadewombat
Posts: 1226
Joined: Sat Jun 22, 2002 2:01 am
Location: Houston, TX

Re: 1303 subaru 4x4

Post by Jadewombat » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:59 pm

Some inspiration, 4WD rallycross bug. 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMmJ5BgKFYo

User avatar
petew
Posts: 3172
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:05 pm
Location: Sydney/Australia
Contact:

Re: 1303 subaru 4x4

Post by petew » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:18 pm

ttriebler wrote:
petew wrote:looks really good. I reckon this might be the first of many such conversions. you will need to watch weight distribution though. I also be interested to see what you do with the centre diff. is there any way to make sure it puts most of the bias towards the engine end, coz in an impreza it does the opposite from what I understand.
I weighed all the bits that get added to make the 4wd conversion. It adds 50kg to the front of the car.

The centre diff torque bias is actually 50/50 in a lot of subarus, the earlier liberty turbos particularly. The whole issue of front/rear torque bias is irrelevant imho even if its 60 front/40 rear as thats how most modern fwd based 4wd systems work - primarily fwd with some power to the rear. And the beauty of the Subaru system is it always sends power to the wheel(s) with the most traction. If the front wheels spin the power shifts to the rear.

Anyway, the proof will be in the driving.....
:wink:

User avatar
kyle_pc_75
Posts: 1802
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:20 pm
Location: Park City, UT, USA

Re: 1303 subaru 4x4

Post by kyle_pc_75 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:15 pm

surfbeetle wrote:I would want big tires in the rear and small in the front, one of the diff gear ratios would have to change to compensate for different tire sizes.
Why go to all that work for different size tires? Seems to me you'd be losing some of the advantage to AWD by decreasing traction up front with a smaller contact patch. Just thinking out loud...

Kyle

User avatar
petew
Posts: 3172
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:05 pm
Location: Sydney/Australia
Contact:

Re: 1303 subaru 4x4

Post by petew » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:54 am

^ what he said.

besides, I think you'll find it a nightmare getting it right ratio wise. and get it wrong and it increases the wear on the center diff.

User avatar
Qurtys Lyn
Posts: 1558
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:22 pm
Location: Centerville, UT

Re: 1303 subaru 4x4

Post by Qurtys Lyn » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:33 pm

Just what I need more ideas... :D


This set up would be awesome in a Baja. Or better, a race Baja... (No, bad Qurtyslyn... No more ideas.)
Fusername's evil twin

'72 Std Beetle - 1641 CC
BRAT Motorsports #936

User avatar
surfbeetle
Posts: 354
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:20 am

Re: 1303 subaru 4x4

Post by surfbeetle » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:01 am

Once my subi street bug is done, I plan to do a Manx, already have an IRS pan and a line on a body... I will have to look at the options for AWD, but of course to be difficult, my pan is also ball joint.

User avatar
ttriebler
Posts: 405
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:51 am
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Re: 1303 subaru 4x4

Post by ttriebler » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:52 pm

surfbeetle wrote:Once my subi street bug is done, I plan to do a Manx, already have an IRS pan and a line on a body... I will have to look at the options for AWD, but of course to be difficult, my pan is also ball joint.
My pan is also ball joint. I did some tricky machining and modifications to make it work. It does change the spacing of the upper and lower front control arms so they are a little wider apart (like the formula v's do) which of course affects the caster angle of the front. We will see what it's like once it's on the road.
Image

SuperRSi
Posts: 173
Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 2:10 pm

Re: 1303 subaru 4x4

Post by SuperRSi » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:38 am

Flat4parts Are the rear Uniballs available for 944t rear arms?

turboedbug
Posts: 341
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:22 pm
Location: washington

Re: 1303 subaru 4x4

Post by turboedbug » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:41 pm

Any update on this?

SuperRSi
Posts: 173
Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 2:10 pm

Re: 1303 subaru 4x4

Post by SuperRSi » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:36 pm

Anyone know if Flat4Parts is still alive?

Thanks

User avatar
ttriebler
Posts: 405
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:51 am
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Re: 1303 subaru 4x4

Post by ttriebler » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:20 am

Dunno....Subarugears is still alive though. But no time to work on the 4WD Manx. Too many transmissions to do for customers.
Image

User avatar
F4P
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:39 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: 1303 subaru 4x4

Post by F4P » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:06 pm

hello the project is alive.. sorry no pic's for the moment i'm working on the front arms... ;)

i recived my bilstein so i'm waiting for other cnc part's
home made the better way to win
www.flat4parts.com

User avatar
Plasticfantastic
Posts: 763
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2001 2:01 am
Location: SouthWest Tennessee USA

Re: 1303 subaru 4x4

Post by Plasticfantastic » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:41 pm

Wow! This is some really neat stuff coming together!

Post Reply