1958 Ragtop Bug, with turbo EJ22 Subaru power.

Are you one of those confused people who can't make up their mind?
Hegel
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:24 pm

Re: 1958 Ragtop Bug, with turbo EJ22 Subaru power.

Post by Hegel » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:53 am

I like this thread. I really like that header in the last post. i have a t3/t4 that i may use on mine once its running (it may be too big though) i'll be watching this closely.

User avatar
Humble
Posts: 192
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2003 3:01 am

Re: 1958 Ragtop Bug, with turbo EJ22 Subaru power.

Post by Humble » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:10 am

Lookin' sweet! I just ordered an 07 us spec sti motor and a 5spd for my race bug, it's on! ;)

User avatar
RonW
Posts: 544
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:31 am

Re: 1958 Ragtop Bug, with turbo EJ22 Subaru power.

Post by RonW » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:44 am

thanks for the update. i was following it on the samba but am excited to here its getting turboed and back on the road soon. i love that header and all the effort to tig with up with purge gas, outstanding! can't wait to check it out at an ax some time. ax #1 for pca-ggr starts next sat for us and although i can run, its only in FUN class :( chicken shits. may just have to drive to marina for the NorCal UFO.
How must boost you plan on running? did you drop compression? I have a buddy with a similar set up in his 914 with megasquirt. he blew the motor at the grassroots motorsport 2011 challenge and just getting it rolling again for the 2013 even and is just starting its tune now.

best of luck and keep us posted.
912R + STi 2.0 Turbo JDM v8

User avatar
roachghia70
Posts: 624
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2003 3:01 am

Re: 1958 Ragtop Bug, with turbo EJ22 Subaru power.

Post by roachghia70 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:17 pm

Hegel wrote:I like this thread. I really like that header in the last post. i have a t3/t4 that i may use on mine once its running (it may be too big though) i'll be watching this closely.
Thanks! Jeff really does amazing work.
That turbo does sound big to me too, but it all depends on the goal. Are you building a drag car?
Humble wrote:Lookin' sweet! I just ordered an 07 us spec sti motor and a 5spd for my race bug, it's on! ;)
Sweet! I think that'll work a lot better than a big type1 turbo engine for sure.
RonW wrote: ax #1 for pca-ggr starts next sat for us and although i can run, its only in FUN class :( chicken shits. may just have to drive to marina for the NorCal UFO.
I actually run in Stockton now, since I moved back out to Modesto a few years ago. I'll be sure and post here before I go to the next autoX.
RonW wrote:How must boost you plan on running? did you drop compression?
I want to make under 200 hp at the wheels, so I really don't need much boost at all. I plan to run it on E85 for now, until I get a water to air intercooler added to the system. The compression is stock for a late model singleport EJ22, which I think is around 9:1.
Autocross 58 Bug Build: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=134433

Kauly
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:21 am

Re: 1958 Ragtop Bug, with turbo EJ22 Subaru power.

Post by Kauly » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:59 pm

excellent car . Love your thread on thesamba.com . I am allways happy when you update :)
1973 subaru frankenmotor build
1970 Cabrio build

User avatar
roachghia70
Posts: 624
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2003 3:01 am

Re: 1958 Ragtop Bug, with turbo EJ22 Subaru power.

Post by roachghia70 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:05 pm

Copied from the thread on thesamba:

Image
Image
Image
Image
Done and running! It smelled great, with a fresh tank of E85. Unfortunately, one of my used STI injectors is faulty, so I need to find another set before I can drive it and street tune it. But at least I got to hear it come to life!

Image
Image
Image
Because the turbo is so close to the plastic, I added an aluminum heat shield to the timing belt cover. The apron might burn a little too, but I'm OK with that right now. It'll just add to the fauxtina!


Image
It's kind of hard to see in the picture, but there is an exhaust hanger at the back of the muffler. It is set up so that once the V-band clamp is taken off, the hanger rod can slide out of the mount, so that the exhaust is really easy to take off with no nuts and bolts!
Image


The added ground clearance will be awesome. I didn't put the exhaust tip through the apron cutout as I had originally planned, because of the air cleaner placement.

Image
Image
Autocross 58 Bug Build: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=134433

User avatar
RonW
Posts: 544
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:31 am

Re: 1958 Ragtop Bug, with turbo EJ22 Subaru power.

Post by RonW » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:24 pm

looks awesome. i know a guy selling a set of ID 1000 injectors he was running e85 on his STi if you are interested.

man, that exhaust looks nice and tight for clearance. how much to you have now? do you plan on running an IC at some point for AX?

one of my favorite bugs!
912R + STi 2.0 Turbo JDM v8

User avatar
roachghia70
Posts: 624
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2003 3:01 am

Re: 1958 Ragtop Bug, with turbo EJ22 Subaru power.

Post by roachghia70 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:51 pm

RonW wrote:looks awesome. i know a guy selling a set of ID 1000 injectors he was running e85 on his STi if you are interested.

man, that exhaust looks nice and tight for clearance. how much to you have now? do you plan on running an IC at some point for AX?

one of my favorite bugs!
Thanks, Ron!

I am looking for some in the neighborhood of 600cc, so those may be overkill for me. But I will let you know. Thanks!

For now, I am going to try and get away without an intercooler. With the help of E85, hopefully the low boost (7psi) won't be a problem. I do have an intake temperature sensor on there, and will set the standalone to back the timing down when the intake temps start getting too high. And if this setup doesn't work, I will add a water to air intercooler to the system, in the top left corner of the engine compartment. I'm just trying to avoid doing that for simplicity.
Autocross 58 Bug Build: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=134433

User avatar
RonW
Posts: 544
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:31 am

Re: 1958 Ragtop Bug, with turbo EJ22 Subaru power.

Post by RonW » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:07 pm

"simplicity", i hear ya. when i added the water/air ic, then a pump and ic radiator, it just got cluttered but what it is what it is. i'll let you know how it goes after this coming weekend.

are you running ms2 or 3? i miss the ms3 for ease of datalogging with the sd card right there. the Tactrix adapter has provisions to dl with an sd card too but i cant seem to get it to log. it was initially designed to start d/l with the rear defogger switch was turned on i tried to wire up that switch but no dice.

keep up the great work
912R + STi 2.0 Turbo JDM v8

User avatar
RonW
Posts: 544
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:31 am

Re: 1958 Ragtop Bug, with turbo EJ22 Subaru power.

Post by RonW » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:08 pm

opps double post
Last edited by RonW on Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
912R + STi 2.0 Turbo JDM v8

Hegel
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:24 pm

Re: 1958 Ragtop Bug, with turbo EJ22 Subaru power.

Post by Hegel » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:35 pm

would you recommend the accusump for a situation like mine where i'd like a shortened pan on my ghia because its a bit lower (or rather will be).

I wont be racing more than some spirited mountain driving.

i can cut the pan and weld a plate but the lower capacity worries me.

the accusump looks like it would a good fit.

thanks,
Steve

User avatar
roachghia70
Posts: 624
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2003 3:01 am

Re: 1958 Ragtop Bug, with turbo EJ22 Subaru power.

Post by roachghia70 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:48 pm

RonW wrote:"simplicity", i hear ya. when i added the water/air ic, then a pump and ic radiator, it just got cluttered but what it is what it is. i'll let you know how it goes after this coming weekend.

are you running ms2 or 3? i miss the ms3 for ease of datalogging with the sd card right there. the Tactrix adapter has provisions to dl with an sd card too but i cant seem to get it to log. it was initially designed to start d/l with the rear defogger switch was turned on i tried to wire up that switch but no dice.

keep up the great work
My biggest worry is that the intake temps will get hot while bombing around mountain roads, going uphill and on boost for extended periods of time. I am going to have to test that, and maybe add the IC sometime in the near future. I also worry about finding E85 while on long trips, such as down to LA for the VW Classic. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it, I guess. But it might be possible to program a gasoline map into the system, and switch over if needed. Although, that makes me want in intercooler that much more!

I am running MS2 version3. I haven't done any datalogging yet, but I plan to start now! I also want to log my oil pressure readings, to see what happens during the next autocross. And thanks again for the comments. Your build is one of my favorites, and actually had me shopping for a 912 with a bad motor for a while! haha
Autocross 58 Bug Build: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=134433

User avatar
roachghia70
Posts: 624
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2003 3:01 am

Re: 1958 Ragtop Bug, with turbo EJ22 Subaru power.

Post by roachghia70 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:59 pm

Hegel wrote:would you recommend the accusump for a situation like mine where i'd like a shortened pan on my ghia because its a bit lower (or rather will be).

I wont be racing more than some spirited mountain driving.

i can cut the pan and weld a plate but the lower capacity worries me.

the accusump looks like it would a good fit.

thanks,
Steve

Hi Steve,

I had a shortened pan on my car and it was never a problem while driving around "spiritedly" on the street. And that included plenty of twisty mountain roads. The only time I lost my engines were: 1. While doing donuts, all in one direction for an extended period of time (1:00 minimum) and 2. While autocrossing on a course that was literally a spiral, so it was right turns the whole time. And that was on slicks, and making an amazing level of grip, so the G forces were pretty high. On street tires and on the street, I don't think I would have starved for oil.

So I think you could probably get away with not needing anything above just adding a quart of oil to the system, and making sure that it's a quart overfilled before any extreme driving. That being said, the Accusump is a great idea, and cheap insurance. If you've got a few hundred bucks to spend. You have a couple of options too. you can just put a simple ball valve on it, or you can put an electronic valve that operates automatically when you start the car.

I am trying to decide which way I want to set mine up right now. With the electronic valve, you basically never have to touch it. It automatically opens the valve when you start the car, and shuts the valve when you shut off the key. The downside is that it does have the potential to fail, and you wouldn't know it until your engine seized.

With the ball valve, you have to remember to close it while the engine is running, and then shut it off. Otherwise you will end up with 3 quarts of oil being forced into the engine after you shut off the key! But you can also hold off on using the Accusump until you think you will need it. For example, I would drive around town with the ball valve shut. And only open it when autocrossing or doing a hard drive in the mountains. The downside is that you have to remember to open it!

Honestly, I don't think you really need it for what you're describing. If you just put a Killer Bee windage tray into your shortened pan and keep it overfilled, I would guess that you'd be OK. It's really up to you if you want the added insurance of the Accusump.
Autocross 58 Bug Build: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=134433

User avatar
RonW
Posts: 544
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:31 am

Re: 1958 Ragtop Bug, with turbo EJ22 Subaru power.

Post by RonW » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:27 pm

roachghia70 wrote:
My biggest worry is that the intake temps will get hot while bombing around mountain roads, going uphill and on boost for extended periods of time. I am going to have to test that, and maybe add the IC sometime in the near future. I also worry about finding E85 while on long trips, such as down to LA for the VW Classic. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it, I guess. But it might be possible to program a gasoline map into the system, and switch over if needed. Although, that makes me want in intercooler that much more!

I am running MS2 version3. I haven't done any datalogging yet, but I plan to start now! I also want to log my oil pressure readings, to see what happens during the next autocross. And thanks again for the comments. Your build is one of my favorites, and actually had me shopping for a 912 with a bad motor for a while! haha

ya, nice thing w ms, you can do that! makes me wonder about doing the same thing now that you mention it :D i just recently added the water/air ic radiator/pump and its so much more cluttered now. i'll try to post a pic later, just finished wiring it up to relays and dash switches (constant hot so i can keep fan/pump running between runs while engine off.) i need to d/l IAT as well for ax along with long hill pulls with boost and in the mountains as well, hopefully soon. suppose to do Thunder in April so I'll need some way to dash monitor that. thinking of using a blue tooth obd2 transponder and have it read to my iphone and dash mount the iphone :D gonna look like a friggin airplane cockpit.
912R + STi 2.0 Turbo JDM v8

User avatar
roachghia70
Posts: 624
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2003 3:01 am

Re: 1958 Ragtop Bug, with turbo EJ22 Subaru power.

Post by roachghia70 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:58 pm

RonW wrote:
roachghia70 wrote:
My biggest worry is that the intake temps will get hot while bombing around mountain roads, going uphill and on boost for extended periods of time. I am going to have to test that, and maybe add the IC sometime in the near future. I also worry about finding E85 while on long trips, such as down to LA for the VW Classic. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it, I guess. But it might be possible to program a gasoline map into the system, and switch over if needed. Although, that makes me want in intercooler that much more!

I am running MS2 version3. I haven't done any datalogging yet, but I plan to start now! I also want to log my oil pressure readings, to see what happens during the next autocross. And thanks again for the comments. Your build is one of my favorites, and actually had me shopping for a 912 with a bad motor for a while! haha

ya, nice thing w ms, you can do that! makes me wonder about doing the same thing now that you mention it :D i just recently added the water/air ic radiator/pump and its so much more cluttered now. i'll try to post a pic later, just finished wiring it up to relays and dash switches (constant hot so i can keep fan/pump running between runs while engine off.) i need to d/l IAT as well for ax along with long hill pulls with boost and in the mountains as well, hopefully soon. suppose to do Thunder in April so I'll need some way to dash monitor that. thinking of using a blue tooth obd2 transponder and have it read to my iphone and dash mount the iphone :D gonna look like a friggin airplane cockpit.
Please post up your setup when you get a chance, I am very interested to see it. 55Superbeetle had no problem fitting a WAIC in my dad's 914, but there's a lot more room in that engine compartment:
Image

The image of an airplane concept is the exact thing that makes me resist putting any more gauges or any other trinkets on my car! HAHA! Right now, I only have a stock speedometer in the dash, and a water temperature gauge inside the glovebox. But with all the oil disasters I have had, I do want to put an oil pressure gauge in there somewhere. And I will add a gas gauge since E85 is consumed faster than gasoline. And I also want a huge oil pressure warning light, maybe one at 20psi (that I can toggle on with a switch, just for AutoX) and another at 10psi with a big loud buzzer. I want my car to yell at me when I am breaking it next time.

the idea of an iPhone mount is interesting. Even just a hard case with Velcro on the back, so it just sticks to the dash. I'll have to see what apps are out there that could help me.
Autocross 58 Bug Build: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=134433

Post Reply