1958 Ragtop Bug, with turbo EJ22 Subaru power.

Are you one of those confused people who can't make up their mind?
RonW

Re: 1958 Ragtop Bug, with turbo EJ22 Subaru power.

Post by RonW »

Your dads car cam our really nice. was one i referenced often.

I hear ya with the oil pressure, the stock ecu has previsions for an idiot light for low oil pressure but i'll bet that can just be hooked to relay to sound a loud "DANGER DANGER" lost in space voice, heh.
here is what it looked like before i mounted the rad:

and some crappy shots i got when i was wiring it up.
912R + STi 2.0 Turbo JDM v8
Humble

Post by Humble »

Do you get good cooling with the radiator over the engine and do you see any heat soak problems?
RonW

Post by RonW »

sorry for being ot, let me know if you want me to shutup and start my own thread ;)
humble,
i just got it up and running with this last week. i have yet to datalog temps yet but there is a fan under that radiator hopefully drawing in air. i'll let you know after this weekend if this is effective or not. i think for ax it should be fine, i am not sure for 20 min track session however. i keep thinking i may try something like Wally had sticking out the duct tail.
roachghia70

Post by roachghia70 »

No problem, Ron! It's a good discussion, and not really off topic because I am looking at doing something similar. This whole time, I've just assumed that I'd be putting the IC radiator up front, so I am curious to see how yours works out!

A shot Jeff took while rolling it out of the shop:
Autocross 58 Bug Build: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=134433
RonW

Post by RonW »

that thing is bad to the bone. nice pic. im drooling over those fuchs
figured out my tactric connector and how to datalog with a micro sd card wo a laptop. i hope to get some data this weekend. PCA ggr ax on sat and AAS ax in marina on Sunday :D ... if i dont break anything
itawolf

Post by itawolf »

Ok guys wake up
RET Marine 0317 --with VW on the lobe!!
Lots of iron in the fire
itawolf

Post by itawolf »

Miss this post

Still a great thread to add to the sticky list
Lots of iron in the fire
55superbeetle

Post by 55superbeetle »

Hope Thomas doesn't mind me updating but the car was sold awhile ago. The new owner had me switch the tune over to gas as he did not have E85 in his area. Doing this required me adding a small water to air intercooler. With the small barrel cooler intake temps maxed out around 140 on a 95 degree day doing long pulls. Obviously not great but the tune was kept safe enough to not be an issue. Never got to dyno it on E85 but it was detuned quite a bit for pump gas, butt dyno says it it probably made 40 -50 more on e85. Just wanted it to be reliable for the new owner and hopefully it has been.

91 octane dyno for the new owner

And some fun on the last night he owned it, I can say that the 750 gsxr was not the victor of out 3 way race 8)

I know Thomas misses it and looking back on this thread makes me miss it too.....
panel

Post by panel »

Not to hijack but is the Volvo highly modded?
'65 Bus with a JDM Subaru EJ20 Turbo
Built by Germans powered by Japanese and brought together by Canadians
Buggin_74

Post by Buggin_74 »

Hi Jeff,
Just wondering what you did for a radiator for the charge cooler?

I've been toying with the idea for mine for a while, just having trouble working out where to put a charge cooler rad as I already have A/C condenser up in front of my rad.

Cheers, Joel
1974 Germanlook 1303 Suba-Beetle
Subaru EJ25 Boost R 17", 4 Wheel discs, Topline suspension and A/C
55superbeetle

Post by 55superbeetle »

panel wrote:Not to hijack but is the Volvo highly modded?
You could say that, it has a 6.0 chevy motor with a 70mm Chinese turbo on it. Runs on megasquirt and motor is bone stock less valve springs and pushrods. Runs 10.70's on 10 psi and has been very reliable. I want to turn up the power but doing some suspension work on it now and need to add safety equipment before I can go back to the track. I built this car after selling my oval, not as cool as a vw by any means but it's been fun to try something new, any it's way cheaper.

Buggin_74 wrote:Hi Jeff,
Just wondering what you did for a radiator for the charge cooler?

I've been toying with the idea for mine for a while, just having trouble working out where to put a charge cooler rad as I already have A/C condenser up in front of my rad.

Cheers, Joel
I just used a 96 pass oil cooler, with a bosch intercooler pump. This setup didn't have an extra water tank, which I think would have really helped but didn't want to put anything inside the car. The wrx turbo on the 2.2 was almost constantly in boost so the water temp never really gets a chance to recover during cruising or light load.
itawolf

Post by itawolf »

hey Thx Jeff

i hope we can get this thread as a sticky

i believe it serves a purpose

also i thought there would be way more HP
Lots of iron in the fire
55superbeetle

Post by 55superbeetle »

The car was still picking up power with every degree of timing I was adding but without really good control of intake temps, and no knock sensor, I did not want it anywhere near the danger zone. A stock wrx typically dyno's 165ish through all wheel drive with 12-14 lbs of boost. The bug was running 11ish, with more displacement, but worse flowing heads so 185whp seem about right to me. The 200lbs of torque is what makes it fun though. The stock turbo is hilariously small but was the ticket for a good autocross powerband. Thomas broke 4 or 5 cv joints during it's turbo life, and a set of fine tooth 3rd gears so more power would have just brought on more expensive things to fix. I believe there is a very fine line when building bugs, which when crossed things start to get really expensive. This car was riding that line pretty hard.
crimson ghost

Post by crimson ghost »

Any news on how this car is doing ??
Thanks
roachghia70

Post by roachghia70 »

No clue. The new owner has dropped off the radar completely.
Autocross 58 Bug Build: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=134433