Got my ej20t

Are you one of those confused people who can't make up their mind?
turboedbug

Got my ej20t

Post by turboedbug »

Well I got it yesturday...so today I started removing all the extra stuff. Well I removed the intake manifold and I notice that there is a light coating of oil in the intake manifold......could this indicate something? Maybe a problem with the engine?
mazda_6t9

Post by mazda_6t9 »

thats normal for a turbo car. all my turbo cars have it and dont ask me how many i have cause you would hate me. are you putting this in a standard bug or baja? are you going standalone? I am in vancouver used to live in Yakima. did you get your adapter yet and if not where do you plan on getting it? when your done you gotta make some shows up here in portland.
mazda_6t9

Post by mazda_6t9 »

where did you get the motor and how much and what all was included. thanks and spread some info.
turboedbug

Post by turboedbug »

I got it from nippon motors....somewhere in cali. it was 850 plus 130 for shipping. everything was included other than the ecu and intercooler. I first ordered the adapter from KEP...they said it would be 3-4 weeks backorder. So I gave this place called outback a call and they had it in stock. I am hoping the adapter will be here this coming week sometime. This will be going in my plain jane bug.
yllwveedub

Post by yllwveedub »

turboedbug wrote:This will be going in my plain jane bug.
You won't think that once you get that motor in there... :lol:

Oil in the intake manifold is coming from the turbo. If it is only a small amount I wouldn't worry about it. If there is a lot of oil, it means that the seals in your turbo are shot and you should consider a rebuilt or new turbo (or you could look around at NASIOC.com for a low milage used one).

Good luck with the project, you will love it when you get it going!
mazda_6t9

Post by mazda_6t9 »

whats the verdict on the ECU? standalone or factory? I think if I did a suby swap the factory boost and ecu would be good enough for me, but thats me. you got the whole harness including the plug for the factory ecu?
crazygn

Post by crazygn »

you might just need a good catch can for the pcv sys, my mustang pulls oil to the intake from the pcv valve.
turboedbug

Post by turboedbug »

I will be using megasquirt for the engine management.
turboedbug

Post by turboedbug »

Awsome got my adapter plate today........too bad I am sick or I would start installing the damn engine.
MikeVW

Post by MikeVW »

That running motor would fix your illness real quick!

Mike
Baja Wes

Post by Baja Wes »

All motors get oil in the intake because the crankcase is always vented through the PCV and other vents into the intake. The PCV usually vents to just behind the throttle body, and the other vents are usually just in front of the throttle body. It's for emissions, to prevent blow-by and other crankcase gases being vented to the atmosphere.
Wes - http://www.offroadvw.net - 200HP Quad Cam V6 in a VW Baja - with climate control... :)
johnnyp

Post by johnnyp »

Any updates on the ej20 install? I am installing a ej20g into my 71 super vert. Ipurchased the motor from jdmmiami for 420.00 its an early legacy auto wagon (stock output is believed to be 220 hp with matching ecu, which I am not using) closed deck block vf10 turbo air/water intercooler. I will be using Megasquirt because it can control every function on this motor, unlike most standalone ecus . also if you use jdm ecu it can be difficult to source sensors /ignition for early ej20s. You can usemost usdm ej22t sensors/wiringon these . With a bigger turbo/injectors you can throw down 300 hp all day.
turboedbug

Post by turboedbug »

Yeah just got the engine onto the tranny yesturday. things are looking good so far. I am interested how you are doing your ignition? edis?
Turbo!
johnnyp

Post by johnnyp »

I have changed my plans. I picked up a electromotive TEC II for a great price, I have lots of info on this system on ej20 / base map for ej20g 440 cc inj vf-10/ and other maps/ if anybody needs these. As far as ignition on Megasquirt you can drive the stock 2 wire coil on plugs with MS I you just need to install 3 additional coil drivers , and you still need some way reference crank(signal), or you can use edis ign. module to fire 2 wire coil on plug,if your coils are no good as some are from age you can update to usdm 3 wire cop there is a sticky on this at nasioc in pre 02 powerplants. I think the easiest would be to just go all edis.
TurboLark

Post by TurboLark »

If you want to get the Megasquirt ready to go, give Jack a call at jacked Up Performance. He did my MS on my Ecotec, and does a bunch on Subies. 1-951-288-1607