EJ20G into 67 Bug

Are you one of those confused people who can't make up their mind?
surfbeetle

Re: EJ20G into 67 Bug

Post by surfbeetle » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:56 pm

Thanks Jeff. I bought one of those bubble and magnetic camber gauges from Amazon as well as a 36 mm wrench. I'll get it adjusted one way or another. I suppose I could have used channel locks but I didn't think that far.
Craig

surfbeetle

Post by surfbeetle » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:42 am

Got out there today and changed the spark plugs and also messed around with the front end. I’m having an issue with the air ride beam going up and down. I got this beam for free from a friend. It’s just a 2” narrowed beam with thru rods and air shocks. I thought there was a problem with the shocks that were on it so I changed out the shocks with a pair I bought new a few years back from Airkweld. Still no change, the beam doesn’t want to raise up on the drivers side when aired up to 100psi from my shop compressor. I need to bite the bullet and just get a new Airkweld beam and be done with it.

GS guy

Post by GS guy » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:25 pm

How is the movement of the trailing arms with no shocks? Trailing arms binding in the beam bushings? I've read especially the urethane bushings have to be "reamed" to get the right fit on the T-arms. Not exactly sure how you'd ream these though, maybe some kind of stiff sanding flap wheels run inside them (like a hone)? I gather there are no "springs" left on the front end with this type of set-up, that is left up to the shocks used (air shocks or coil-overs).
Jeff

surfbeetle

Post by surfbeetle » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:20 am

Yeah something obviously is binding along with the wheels hitting the fenders if I drop it all way. I really need a 4” narrowed beam so instead of messing with this one, I’m gonna contact Airkweld and get a beam. Since I have the shocks, spindles and brakes already, the cost shouldn’t be too bad.

surfbeetle

Post by surfbeetle » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:21 am

Yeah something obviously is binding along with the wheels hitting the fenders if I drop it all way. I really need a 4” narrowed beam so instead of messing with this one, I’m gonna contact Airkweld and get a beam. Since I have the shocks, spindles and brakes already, the cost shouldn’t be too bad.