Steering Column Woes

The VW Beetle. Everything about bugs!
Eriksport

Steering Column Woes

Post by Eriksport »

OK...after a couple hours, and multiple headaches...I now have no column in the car. The car is a 74 Standard, Baja. I assume it was the stock column, had a bearing go out somewhere near the top, so the steering wheel clicked, fully functioned but clicked. The turn signal mechanism was gone when I bought the car. I want to SCCA RallyCross the car, but no way will it pass tech inspection with the column "loose" fitting as it is. So I pulled the column from a 69 parts car. Seems the bottom expanded metal joint was bent in the wreck...and the overall length seemed a half inch or so longer then the one from my 74. So now I have 2 columns out of the car, and am in need of something to tame my problem. So basically, I'm interested in a column setup that has turn signals attached (even if that means aftermarket blinker assembly clamped to a column buggy style). Any ideas? I'm fresh out of parts cars.

Thanks in advance.

Erik
Zog67

Steering Column Woes

Post by Zog67 »

tough question, perhaps you can use the bearing from the 69 to fix your 74 column. Oi've never taken one apart though. For a proper replacement, I remeber there's a good vw salvage yard in your area that advertises 500 vehicles for parts. It's Averre's in Longview WA. www.averres.com
Best of Luck.

------------------
Ethan, 1967 sedan going through a slow metamorphasis
4flat4

Re: Steering Column Woes

Post by 4flat4 »

So I have spent close to 40 hrs to put back together the top end of the column (could not work for 3 yrs).
part 296.373 fits almost against column and nearly reaches the ignition. Made of alumium.
HELP Feeling brain dead.
4flat4

Post by 4flat4 »

can I post pictures of the part I am asking for help with (above ??)
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

Averys in longview washington (they moved recently, that was their old location) has 500 steering columns. Buy a late model column complete.