Correct me if I am wrong - Full Flow

The VW Beetle. Everything about bugs!
YoungDub

Post by YoungDub »

When you drill & tapp for a full flow filter setup you are only doing one hole for the return line.

Is this statement true? I think I got confused with Bugmans article because he was putting in new pipe plugs as well as the full flow filter setup!

Thanks all,

-YoungDub
captCRUNCH

Post by captCRUNCH »

that is true...he was taking out all of the plugs so he could clean the oil passages "properly". you only need a fitting where one of the plugs are...you'll have to look and see which one, i've never done a full flow system before, but i did read that article also. good luck! are you doing it yourself? if so let me know how it goes...i might be interested in it myself.
Airkuld67

Post by Airkuld67 »

Here is the deal. You have to drill and tap the one plug where the return goes into the case. Also, you have to plug the stock outlet on the pump. Some pumps already have this done for you if you order em that way. Berg sells em already plugged, AC.NET does too. Or, if you use a stock pump, you just tap the hole that the oil goes through stock and put a plug in it. Then you run the pump cover that has the outlet, because you plugged the stock pump outlet. Hook a hose to the cover fitting, run it to a filter and run another hose from the filter back to the new return fitting on the case.
Marc

Post by Marc »

The 11th picture down shows the big 3/8NPT return hole you need on the left side.
I think that most folks plug only the pump outlet (pics 14,15, & 16) and don't worry about plugging the passage in the case (pics 17 & 18). That fitting (pics 19,20, & 21) isn't cheap but it's good for several psi more oil pressure than the 90° brass fitting typically used here - try to avoid all of the 90° & 45° fittings you can when routing your lines, a few more inches of line will hurt the pressure far less than a tight corner does.
BugMan - 74

Post by BugMan - 74 »

Sorry I confused you YoungDub - For the full flow return you ARE only doing one plug... HOWEVER, it is my opinion that if you have your case apart anyway, you might as well do the rest (so you can ensure they are clean - dont want to get crap in new bearings!)!

And as for plugging the pump ONLY and not the case its your call. The downside to not plugging the case also is that there is always the possibility of oil drainback (between the case and pump), AND a loss of pressure. If you plug both you can be assured you wont have these problems.

BTW - pressure was VERY good on this engine 30-40's while cruising 15 at idle when the oil was WAY hot (adding an external cooler into the system soon...)

------------------
--Eric
Visit My Web-page: http://bugman.50megs.com/
VGM

Post by VGM »

Small point-restriction(tight 90&45 bends)will cause less volume but more pressure at that point in the system,but then less volume will equal less pressure overall,No?
YoungDub

Post by YoungDub »

If I choose to do it myself I will let you know!

-YoungDub