CB 1.4 RR oil squirters

The VW Beetle. Everything about bugs!
V8Nate

CB 1.4 RR oil squirters

Post by V8Nate »

So I am in the process of building my 2058 type 1 and I'm doing some of the hvx mods to the engine. One problem I see with the CB 1.4 ratio rockers is no oil path dedicated to the lash cap or valve stem with the exception of splash oiling. I've been toying with a few ideas to solve this, one would be an oil spray bar, notching the side of the rocker arm where the shims go(idea being oil will follow the path of least resistance and aim the notch to the rocker tip area) or drill a small hole under the rocker tip( on the rocker shaft area) aimed at the valve tip. I want this thing to last so I'd like to get some oil up to the valve tip area without compromising any structural integrity. Any ideas

Thanks
NateImageImage

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Busbodger

Re: CB 1.4 RR oil squirters

Post by Busbodger »

I seem to remember John Muir saying that at road RPMs the valve cover is half full of oil. Seems like that would be plenty of splash lube to keep wear away.

If I were you I would note the mileage you get from these rockers and then start seemking a better engineering solution. My guess is that they will outlast your expectations and you'll either move on to another engine or you'll tear down the engine seeking more displacement - and they can be re-engineered or replaced outright then.
V8Nate

Post by V8Nate »

Thanks for the reply Bb what I ended up doing was drilling a small hole in each pushrod to act like an oil sprinkler. I'm sure they would have lasted as they were but hopefully this will help at least:)Image
Busbodger

Post by Busbodger »

I really like that solution. The price is right!
V8Nate

Post by V8Nate »

Busbodger wrote:I really like that solution. The price is right!
No doubt:)
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

What size hole did you go for? And how far down? Pretty sure I have the same push rods , smith brothers?
Didn’t want to hit the insert with the drilling as that would be rock solid!
V8Nate

Post by V8Nate »

Hey Andy, I can't remember the exact size maybe 1/16 I can try looking tomorrow. They are the ac.net HD tapered aluminum p/r's. I wanted the oil "sprinkler" holes as close to the tip as possible so I took a piece of bailing wire and put it down one tip till it hit the inside edge of the tip and drilled the hole just behind that so I didn't drill thru the hardened tip
SCOTTRODS

Post by SCOTTRODS »

Do you guys not worry about drilling chips getting into the inside of the pushrods and clogging or limiting the normal or extra oiling desired? I'm not knocking this approach, just wondering if there was some process used to prevent the chips from falling inside the tubes...
I have found them completely missing more than once. - PILEDRIVER

Some pics of My Powder Coating work
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg6/terrellster/
My Facebook Page for Powder Coating
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001788886297
V8Nate

Post by V8Nate »

SCOTTRODS wrote:Do you guys not worry about drilling chips getting into the inside of the pushrods and clogging or limiting the normal or extra oiling desired? I'm not knocking this approach, just wondering if there was some process used to prevent the chips from falling inside the tubes...
I cleaned the p/r's thoroughly and checked them all guaranteed no debris. I also did some of the Hoover mods to get full oiling to the valve train
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

Good idea with the measuring
Thanks
terryly

Post by terryly »

Terry Lytle
Canada
8.5-1 comp
JE forged pistons
Porsche piston squirters
30mm triple "O"ring pump
Web 86 a
1.4 ratio rocker
MS3 PRO ecu
Mini Cam Sync
LS2 coil
50mm Throttle body
TD04L-13T Turbo
SL-1 Turbo prepped heads
SCOTTRODS

Post by SCOTTRODS »

V8Nate wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:15 pm
SCOTTRODS wrote:Do you guys not worry about drilling chips getting into the inside of the pushrods and clogging or limiting the normal or extra oiling desired? I'm not knocking this approach, just wondering if there was some process used to prevent the chips from falling inside the tubes...
I cleaned the p/r's thoroughly and checked them all guaranteed no debris. I also did some of the Hoover mods to get full oiling to the valve train
Thanks for the explanation... I was just wondering for my own peace of mind I guess... I would have put air pressure on the end I wasn't working on to make the chips go outward... Not even sure I'd be completely comfy with that method, but better than nothing. I'm at least familiar with the Hoover mods as well. All great ideas.
I have found them completely missing more than once. - PILEDRIVER

Some pics of My Powder Coating work
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg6/terrellster/
My Facebook Page for Powder Coating
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001788886297