I can't open it!

The VW Beetle. Everything about bugs!
Dean...

I can't open it!

Post by Dean... »

Hey all

I was adjusting the handle and I must have went to far and now I can't open it. We in Australia would call it a boot, at least we do when it's at the rear of the car. I don't know what people in other countries call it, so to save confusion I've included a pic.

I believe that when I pull the lever in the glove box that it is operating properly, but the front won't even pop up a little.

I'm currently contemplating cutting a hole underneath, but I decided to ask all you experts first Image I'm sure this isn't the first time such an issue has occurred ImageImage

Thanks
DeanImage

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

SCOTTRODS

Re: I can't open it!

Post by SCOTTRODS »

Have someone pull the release inside the car, while you push down on the handle on front of the car, and while they hold the lever, it should let you release the hood... and gain entry. Works that way for me when one is adjusted wrong...
I have found them completely missing more than once. - PILEDRIVER

Some pics of My Powder Coating work
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg6/terrellster/
My Facebook Page for Powder Coating
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001788886297
Dean...

Post by Dean... »

Thanks for the tip. I will give it a go tomorrow!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

kenhoh

Post by kenhoh »

Don't cut any holes. Just cut your hood handle in the middle and turn each half of the handle counter clockwise until the hood latch falls loose, and it's open just replace handle.
rrb6699

Post by rrb6699 »

I had the same issue. I had to punch the button for the trunk lid in with a hammer and a piece of rebar or something else that fits the button size. Once I punched it in Far Enough the Hood released. it was then I found out the bracket was bent thus not allowing the button to release the hood latch.

my release latch in the glove box was working fine. I just had to brace it open with a wedge while I push the button in with the hammer and rebar. By hammering the button in I did not damage anything.
RR

1972 Restoration Project.