1970 bug-steering wheel suddenly loose and moves..

The VW Beetle. Everything about bugs!
kinovdur

1970 bug-steering wheel suddenly loose and moves..

Post by kinovdur »

just had work done on her-new ignition switch and turn signal switch and about 30miles into it suddenly steering wheel loose in an up and down position (in and out) kind of motion. Is it safe to drive? upon reading it looks like it could be a worn/broken bearing in the steering column> any input appreciated. is this a doable fix for a newbie? thanks in advance.
Ol'fogasaurus

Re: 1970 bug-steering wheel suddenly loose and moves..

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

IMG_0795.JPG
Since you must have been in the steering column I would first check the nut that hold the steering wheel on the steering shaft it tight (my book says 36#s of torque). I am not sure but there might be a brass spacer there depending on the year I think.

Next I would check the condition of "rag joint" on the steering box. This is a view of a urethane conversion joint but yours should look similar. This is a view from in front of the beam looking towards the firewall. I would also check the connections (splines and pinch bolt) to the steering box and steering shaft. This would be the easiest and cheapest thing to start with.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.