ride hight advise

The VW Beetle. Everything about bugs!
UnlimitedEditions

ride hight advise

Post by UnlimitedEditions »

Hi everyone,

I bought my bug last year,
it has a 4" adjustable narrow beam with drop spindles (K&L).
When I bought it, it was low, pan scraper, and I thought as it had an adjustable beam I would be able to raise the height but its already raised as high as it can go, were the adjusters perhaps welded in the wrong position?
I'm just looking for an extra inch Razz ... just to stop the occasional scrapes and just to have the option of adjustment.

My options as far as I know are to get a new beam and hope it gives me more adjustment (Expensive and time consuming)

get some standard spindles raising the height by 2.5 inches approx and giving me more adjustment. (Cheaper easier option).

any suggestions or advise appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ol'fogasaurus

Re: ride hight advise

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

http://www.swayaway.net/joomla/images/I ... USTERS.pdf

Sway-a-way came up with the design as I remember but you can buy them from several sources.

These are the instructions for adding the adjusters for both a K&L and BJ front beam. The instructions, with some variations, you get with your adjusters (you need two of them) are the same. I like these better.

"NOTE: If you want to have all of your height adjustment in either the upward or downward direction, Its possible to set the adjuster for that effect before you go on to step 7A or 7B. If you want only downward adjustment you should set the block (#3) and its socket set screw (#2 or #8) as far back from the bracket as possible. If you want only upward adjustment you should set the block and screw as close to the bracket as possible. Set it in the middle to allow equal amounts of upward and downward adjustment. Then continue with step 7A or 7B. "

They can be set to give preference (as highlighted) to lowering or raising or less amounts in either direction as marked in the quote from the instructions posted in the URL.

I would highly read through the instructions several times then mark out the sentences that do not apply to the style of beam (K&L or BJ) you are modifying. I got caught on that one hence the advice to do it.

I hope this helps.
Lee

My opinion is worth slightly less than what you paid for it.
UnlimitedEditions

Post by UnlimitedEditions »

Hi Lee,

My beam has sway-away adjusters,
I took it to a garage before to get the adjusters rewelded and long story short, the mechanic couldn't do it.
It cost me allot of time and money for him to come to that conclusion and all he did was to move the adjusters to the highest possible setting but removing the two locking nuts... not to say that it can't be done but I'm reluctant to go to a mechanic or welder again.

I'm keen to know if putting stock spindles on a lower beam causes problems, I know it changes the track but is this a common set up (adjustable beam and stock spindles)?

I only need it about 1-2 inches higher at the front.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I run off-road but I used the Sway-a-way adjusters to change height a bit: in my case I used them to raise the height of the pan on my glass buggy and, by setting the upper and lower beam adjusters at different settings, I soften the buggy's ride on the sand.

Since I am not dealing with stock bugs but based on my modifying things for off-road, I still see no reason for not putting the stock spindles back on the beam and raising the front the two inches that the dropped spindles have taken away (you have a nice looking bug by-the-way!). I'm not sure about the narrower beam and what, if any problems that you could run into because of that. You may or may not need to realign things but that could be cheaper than buying a new beam.

This being a holiday attached to a weekend (here in the states) I suspect that everyone is out goofing off and having fun but should be back to give better answers for the street than I can on Monday night or Tuesday at the latest.
Lee

My opinion is worth slightly less than what you paid for it.