Porsche brake conversion thread. How?

The VW Beetle. Everything about bugs!
gtmdriver

Porsche brake conversion thread. How?

Post by gtmdriver »

I have just finished converting my car from rear drum brakes to Porsche 944 rear vented disc brakes and I took photos of every step. I would like to post this as a 'How To' thread but the forum seems to have a limit on the number of images in a post. I have 68 photos to illustrate the post. Is there a way I can do it all in one post.
Piledriver

Re: Porsche brake conversion thread. How?

Post by Piledriver »

Load them to Photobucket or other web space and provide links in the commentary..
Images loaded to the forum are (were?) limited to 3 per post, but AFAIK links are unlimited.

Its usually best to break up a long procedure a bit, but its your kitty.

There is still some teething pain with the new software so there may be some changes coming along those lines, eventually.

Right now photo bucket or the board software isn't seeing the image size so no inline links are viewable.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Piledriver wrote:Its usually best to break up a long procedure a bit...
I'd encourage doing it that way for several good reasons.

If you use a hosting site like Photobucket it'll save Doc's storage space, but if you find it too kludgy/slow to deal with upload 'em here.

Resize to maximum 800 pixels horizontal, maximum 600 pixels vertical, before uploading and they should display - most image-editing applications have that capability, even Microsoft Paint.
Jadewombat

Post by Jadewombat »

Would make a good sticky topic...
gtmdriver

Post by gtmdriver »

How do I do a sticky post?
Marc

Post by Marc »

gtmdriver wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:50 am How do I do a sticky post?
That was my intention the minute you brought it up. IM me when you're done and happy with everything and I'll stickify it.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

The pics also must be <125kb and jpg or png format to upload.
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Piledriver wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:56 pm The pics also must be <125kb and jpg or png format to upload.
I haven't tested the upper limit of file size since the update, but here's an 800x600 .jpg that's 235kb:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Happy dog!

Hmm the file size limit went up.
I recall reading the picture dimensions max was some oddball size like 1000x1000 (last time I saw a change mentioned)

Hopefully something will get posted to the news forum or such once it has been nailed down.
gtmdriver

Post by gtmdriver »

OK. I'll start a thread and put in a number of pre-replies then edit them to add the content.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

That is a good plan, set up an outline etc, give yourself some room.
Even after you max out the uploads you can still add links.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Put across the top of each post WORK IN PROGRESS - PLEASE DO NOT POST REPLIES or something to that effect. That can be removed when the thread's ready to make into a sticky.

Reason being, you can delete your own posts if you need to start over, but not someone else's. If you need any help cleaning somethng up, contact a Moderator (they have higher-level editing power).
FJCamper

Post by FJCamper »

Hi Marc,

What photo-hosting program are you using?

I'm using Photobucket, and can't post now since the update.

FJC
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Uploads work if the right dimensions and file size...
Wonder if this would fit in a 914? :twisted:
w12-vanagon.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Are you receiving this message?

It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image. Please verify that the URL you entered is correct.

That's the problem I'm having when I try to get pictures hosted on Photobucket to display here. I started with one that was 800x640 140KB and downloaded/resized/uploaded several times (743x599 129KB, 669x536 109KB) with the same result. Haven't figured out what the problem is, but it's apparently not related to resolution or file size.

For a worthwhile subject like this it's easy to justify uploading the pics directly from your computer to STF (using the "Attachments" tab). Just resize to ≤ 800x600 first and they should go. These four are all ≤ 800x600, largest is 241KB. Note that there's no way to insert text between them - you may want to open each one in paint and insert a reference number on it before attaching as I did on the first one here.