EMPI stainless header - any good?

The VW Beetle. Everything about bugs!
MinamiKotaro

EMPI stainless header - any good?

Post by MinamiKotaro »

Kinda too late because I already ordered it, but I figured I'd ask, anyway. My old header is rusting out, high temp paint does nothing, so I figured I'd step up to stainless.

It's this one:

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp ... C13%2D3760
'67 Beetle, 2276
MS-1 v3.57
MinamiKotaro

Re: EMPI stainless header - any good?

Post by MinamiKotaro »

No replies, so I guess I'll find out on my own. It went on easily enough. Rubs on the oil filter, though (filter pump). I can either use a smaller filter (Purolator 14476/14477 size, commonly used on Toyotas, will work) or break out the old, remote-mount kit. I'll get some pictures once it quits raining and I feel like going back out to the shop.
'67 Beetle, 2276
MS-1 v3.57
MinamiKotaro

Post by MinamiKotaro »

Nice, thick flanges.

Rubs the oil filter. :cry: I didn't want to heat and bend the pipe, so I just got a smaller filter.

Looks good.
'67 Beetle, 2276
MS-1 v3.57
FJCamper

Post by FJCamper »

Hi MinamiKotaro,

I noticed in your photo you seem to be using an adjustable oil pressure sensor of the type that cuts off electric fuel pumps if the pressure drops to a given psi.

If so, what do you have your "kill psi" set for, and how happy are you with the system?

I ask because so many VW engines, when really hot, will have idle oil pressure drop below 5 psi, turning on the oil warning light.

Thanks,

FJC
ainokea

Post by ainokea »

Stainless headers are way better than the normal black painted ones. Longer lasting with minimum amount of maintenance like the black painted.
MinamiKotaro

Post by MinamiKotaro »

FJCamper wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:18 pmI noticed in your photo you seem to be using an adjustable oil pressure sensor of the type that cuts off electric fuel pumps if the pressure drops to a given psi.

Alas, it is not so. That's just my oil temperature sensor.
'67 Beetle, 2276
MS-1 v3.57
turbowd57rag

Post by turbowd57rag »

That actually looks pretty nice !! I like the thick flanges
ps2375

Post by ps2375 »

ainokea wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:16 pm Stainless headers are way better than the normal black painted ones. Longer lasting with minimum amount of maintenance like the black painted.
Depends on what "paint" you use. I used Cerakote ceramic paint on mine, and none came off, no discoloring and I can wipe the burnt oil drips off. It wasn't cheap, but I was able to apply it myself and it is an air-cure ceramic, seems to be as durable as a ceramic powder coat. And it also seems to protect against corrosion, which is the main reason I applied it.

To the OP, I had to remote mount my oil-filter since my new header wanted to add heat to the filter. I used -8 hose and there were no ill effects that I discern.
gringoloco2000

Post by gringoloco2000 »

I have a stainless EMPI clone of the A1 sidewinder and it looks similarly beefy. No issues so far. Must be a different supplier than much of their products that are more or less crap.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

How far away from the header is the oil filter. From the pix it looks close or touching. If it is not that close ignore the res of the post.

If so to either then there should be either a shield covering the area close to the filter is or a good air gap so as not to transmit heat into the oil from the exhaust.