What precautions do I need for removing this fuel line?

The VW Beetle. Everything about bugs!
Clackety Clack

What precautions do I need for removing this fuel line?

Post by Clackety Clack »

Its the short 3" soft braided line between the hard line from the tank and the fuel pump inlet. Is gas just going to start pouring out into the engine bay when I remove it?
risk

Re: What precautions do I need for removing this fuel line?

Post by risk »

Possibly.. if you have a full tank and the car is sitting level it might. Just stick a bolt in it, or jack the rear of the car up some.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Pretty much what Risk said but there are preformed end covers for tubes that you can buy. They kind of look like a nipple and they slide over the end of a tube to close it off. You could also put a bolt in a short length of fuel line and clamp the two pieces together then to the fuel line.

If you are going to have any time with no connections to the tank or the fuel line then I would recommend the clamping of what ever plug(s) you use just to keep the fuel line/tank clean from rust. debris or airborne contaminates.

Lee
Clackety Clack

Post by Clackety Clack »

A couple days until I get the carb top back. Its garaged.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Clackety Clack wrote:A couple days until I get the carb top back. Its garaged.
All the more reason for the line plug. It is amazing how a five minute break in a job gets to be months long isn't it. :roll: :lol: I can't tell you how many times that has happened to me.

Since you are removing the soft line and will put it back on I recommend that you replace it with a new hunk of line. No telling when the next time you get to this area but maybe it would have been to replace the aged, splitting or stretched line that was OK now but now is leaking.

Planning ahead for the inevitable is hard to do as you can't assume everything but what you can you need to do when the (easier) time/chance comes along.

Lee
Clackety Clack

Post by Clackety Clack »

I am replacing the soft lines. The carb top is off, the line from fuel outlet to carb is only off the carb end.I have a screw in that end of the plug, but there is still a slit in the line at that end. My original question was really when I do cut that small piece of hose off, with the new hose in hand ready to go, will I lose a lot of fuel when switching old braided line to new in that area pictures. I am going to try and do it as quickly as possible.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Risk's idea of lifting the rear (onto stands for safety and improved access to the area) for both reducing fuel pressure in the line and ease of access to the area is the way to go. The fuel in the tank, if the tank isn't full, when it moves forward when the car is lifted in the rear can reduce some of the pressure in the fuel line.

Remember you have a finger or two to block the end of the hard line during that short period when you are moving the soft line to be slid onto the hard line. I think I would, if possible, have the soft line already on the line to the carb. Have a catch can under there with you.

Be safe. Lee
Bruce.m

Post by Bruce.m »

Unless I'm being daft...

Clamp the soft fuel line under the tank with a hose clamp. That will stop all but a dribble being lost at the rear end.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

These are very handy beasties, commonly used on brake hoses as well.
Any auto parts store sells line clamps like these:
(these work very well, the big knobs make them easy to use)
http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-fl ... 65116.html
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Since he is replacing the line completely the clamp isn't going to be of much use. Soft line clamps like that are a really good idea as they don't damage the inside of the line like a threaded fastener style of plug would do. But... if the soft line was old then the pinching of it could do some damage assuming the line assuming it was planned to be re-used.
Jim Ed

Post by Jim Ed »

risk wrote:Possibly.. if you have a full tank and the car is sitting level it might. Just stick a bolt in it, or jack the rear of the car up some.
I usually use a Phillips stubby screwdriver to plug mine.

Do not use a pencil or wooden golf tee. Sometimes they break off and a wood splinter might get stuck in the carb needle valve and cause the float to stick.
Clackety Clack

Post by Clackety Clack »

I just want to change the small line between the hard line and fuel pump inlet. Not leave it open for extend end periods of time. Just new hose.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Clackety Clack wrote:Its the short 3" soft braided line between the hard line from the tank and the fuel pump inlet. Is gas just going to start pouring out into the engine bay when I remove it?
What Risk said to do lowers the fuel pressure in the fuel line from the fuel tank in the front of the car. Depending on how much fuel is in the tank also could make a difference on how much fuel will want to come out of the line. Have your new soft line ready to be slipped on when you pull the soft line off both the line from the tank and to the carb assuming the line to the carb is ready. That clamp that was shown could be used on the new hose or so could a plug in the new soft line if the line to the carb isn't ready.

You can use your finger as a block while you slide the new soft line on. Have a catch basin there Just-in-case.
Clackety Clack

Post by Clackety Clack »

Makes sense. Thanks for all the help. I should get my carb top back sometime next week. I'll let you know how it turns out. I didn't trust that inlet, I wanted a threaded one to avoid a potential fire. Might as well change the lines when its apart. Have a good night.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I goofed. For some reason I thought you were talking about the main line not from the pump to the carb. On that one you might get some fuel from the line you are removing and maybe a few drips from the pump. Put some rags down to catch any run out.

Lee