Point Cloud scan

The VW Beetle. Everything about bugs!
Dupe

Point Cloud scan

Post by Dupe »

Anyone ever do a 3D scan on their bug? We have a couple FARO laser scanners at work that I would love to take home and scan my bug with to bring the point cloud into my 3D modeling software, but the powers that be say no. Wondering if anyone else might have a scan file they could share.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
ChadH

Re: Point Cloud scan

Post by ChadH »

Several years ago, at my old company, our surveyors were playing around with their new laser scanner (not sure which brand). The boss let them cover his big black Escalade with flour, and they scanned it. The results were very "noisy", and not a very smooth representation of the vehicle.

I don't use this stuff, so I don't know a lot about it, but I think civil surveying scanners work fine for big structures like bridges and buildings, but might not be precise enough for the finer details of a car.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

There is a company that is advertising the special floor mats they sell. They say they fit so well as they scan the areas that they make their special do-hickies for which says go me that it could be done. What you don't know is the work involved or the special tooling or "what" that is involved in doing it. It could be very expensive until technology catches up with the demand... unless it is here and we just don't know about it.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

There is a small/cheap/open source hand held scanning setup available that allows you to scan in sections and assemble the 3D section in software.

It basically uses a line generator and a camera, but the results are impressive, and it should scale well.

One version: (There are many variations)
http://www.makerscanner.com/
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Dupe

Post by Dupe »

The ones we have at work will scan anything. We scanned our entire shop, about 10acres under roof with them and when we rendered the scans you read the setting on every welding machine in the bay.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
SCOTTRODS

Post by SCOTTRODS »

[quote="Dupe"]The ones we have at work will scan anything. We scanned our entire shop, about 10acres under roof with them and when we rendered the scans you read the setting on every welding machine in the bay./quote]

I used to work with a FARO Arm device. They build some nice stuff... But they also cost a fortune. And By Fortune, I mean the one we used most was mounted and had a full reach of 3.5 feet (in all directions), and the price on it was some $30k or more. Could carry it like a Saws-all in it's case when dismounted from the Calibrated Table. I was told it wasn't a very expensive one either...
I have found them completely missing more than once. - PILEDRIVER

Some pics of My Powder Coating work
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg6/terrellster/
My Facebook Page for Powder Coating
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001788886297