socal imports dangerous mistake

The VW Beetle. Everything about bugs!
ryans88gt

socal imports dangerous mistake

Post by ryans88gt »

Bought the disk brake conversion with drop spindles. All the parts seemed really nice. Installed everything.

The car pulled violently towards oncoming traffic under braking. Checked and rechecked. Bled brakes, reset alignment, checked tire pressures etc... but my car continued to pull violently into oncoming traffic.

So I took the calipers off to check that I didn't have a bound up piston or malfunctioning caliper. They came preloaded with pads and I just bolted them on.

Well I took the pads off and immediately realized the problem. One caliper had a very aggressive brake pad and the other caliper had a OEM type brake pad. Easily distinquishable difference in the pad material, and the backing plates were different, one was zinc plated and painted black and the other was painted black over mild steel. One set had glued on shims and the other set had loose shims. So definitely different brake pads.

Very aggravated that I would get to different sets of brake pads in a complete preloaded caliper kit that resulted in very dangerous braking behavior. I could have been seriously hurt or killed if I wasn't an experienced driver and this seems like a very careless mistake.

Thought I would share in case some one else out there is having a similar issue. Check your pads. or buy new pads

End rant.
ryans88gt

Re: socal imports dangerous mistake

Post by ryans88gt »

Left a message with socal three days ago. No response from them.

Very stand up -*sarcasm*
Lingwendil

Post by Lingwendil »

Call them. They usually handle things quickly.

Crazy though OP.

Now, if only you had disassembled them to paint them Red maybe you would have noticed, lol.
Jadewombat

Post by Jadewombat »

Scary...unfortunately not surprising though.
ryans88gt

Post by ryans88gt »

Just wanted to let everyone know that I did call them and got a very apologetic call back (after a few days)

They told me that they have a very low rate of return on calipers and brake parts and yadda yadda and unfortunately sometimes mistakes happen.

They next day shipped me some new brake pads.

So... despite the issue, very good customer service.