1972 Beetle - Sounds like grinding or rubbing frt tires

The VW Beetle. Everything about bugs!
rrb6699

1972 Beetle - Sounds like grinding or rubbing frt tires

Post by rrb6699 »

I took a trip about 40mi each way and noticed a grinding maybe tire rubbing type sound in front end. when I steer a certain way it would stop. I just greased the front bearings a couple months ago and packed them pretty good.

I was not making very sharp turns but ive heard it when I make sharper turns. I dont hear it at slower speeds and it doesnt always happen.

I just noticed it on this trip more. im going to check the front bearings again just in case. I believe I used 90 trailer grease on them. maybe theres a better more recommended lube?

let me know.

tia,
RR

1972 Restoration Project.
The Newf

Re: 1972 Beetle - Sounds like grinding or rubbing frt tires

Post by The Newf »

If what you're hearing Is wheel bearing noise,they're already toast.Too late for grease.
rrb6699

Post by rrb6699 »

yea I kinda answered it to myself while composing that . fortunately parts are not expensive for older vws.

;-)
RR

rrb6699

Post by rrb6699 »

update:

I repacked the bearings and found the nuts with the allen screws in them...(outside axle nuts?) could be tightened up more. im sure it caused some bearing wear so I will probably need to replace them, but, tightening these nuts along with re-packing seemed to help a bunch.

now I only hear an occasional noise when I slightly turn the wheels on the highway.
RR