Want to put A/C In my 1972 Beetle

The VW Beetle. Everything about bugs!
langsen

Re: Want to put A/C In my 1972 Beetle

Post by langsen »

If you haven't got a compressor yet, check out the Delphi V5 compressor. It's variable displacement, so is a bit more efficient and also doesn't need to cycle on and off.
rrb6699

Post by rrb6699 »

hey thanks,

I was just about to order one this week. I'll guess I can find out cost.

rr
RR

1972 Restoration Project.
rrb6699

Post by rrb6699 »

is that the model. I found compact variable compressors but not that model.

rr
RR

langsen

Post by langsen »

I don't know the part number but if you search around for a Delphi or Harrison V5 compressor it should come up. It was on a bunch of 1990s GM cars. Most of them have a clutch pulley for serpentine belt but you can swap it over for a v-belt clutch.

I used the bigger version of it, the V7, on an old Toyota Land Cruiser and it works great. When I do the A/C on my bug I'm planning on using the V5, just haven't got around to it yet.
aussiedubber

Post by aussiedubber »

the guys at vintage exhausts sell a bracket kit for air con for air cooled motors if that helps
rrb6699

Post by rrb6699 »

ok I'll check that. gonna hold off on the compressor until I can take a second look at them. it's not 95 Degrees here yet (only 92deg) so I have a little time. but in the meantime.... thank god for those vent Windows...

rr
RR

rrb6699

Post by rrb6699 »

langsen wrote:If you haven't got a compressor yet, check out the Delphi V5 compressor. It's variable displacement, so is a bit more efficient and also doesn't need to cycle on and off.
Will this compressor hold up under operating temps in the engine compartment compared to other compressors?

thanks,
RR

sagaboy

Post by sagaboy »

Where I live the normal outside temperature is (on sunny days) 32 C average and the aircon compressor being attached to the engine, the heat transmitted to it can be almost equal to the engine temperature in an enclosed compartment plus the aircon compressor generate its own heat vs a watercool car with outside air rushing into the engine compartment while moving -- it does makes a lot of difference to the life span of the compressor.

Hence over the years, VW owners where I live, found out that the Sanden brand out-last over any other in the market. My current Sanden compressor lasted 7 years of daily used before requiring replacement BUT it would have lasted much more longer if I had increased the size of the "condenser heat exchanger" (doubling it by adding another condenser to the other side by the starter motor -- which I have do now).

With increase in the surface area of the "condenser heat exchanger" that removes/cool the refrigerant gas, I get 2 advantages: colder interior air flow and less heat and stress to the compressor.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

The engine compartments in modern cars are scorching hot, with very limited, frequently well controlled airflow.
They tend to restrict airflow to the absolute minimum required in order to reduce drag.

A properly built/tuned ACVWs engine compartment, if properly sealed (hotside/coldside) should not get much hotter than modern watercoolers, and may in fact run cooler. Remember, there is a huge fan moving 1500+ CFM of air through there at cruise speeds.

A decklid with a cutout under the licence plate could easily provide more cool air at the compressor, depending on how its mounted/ducted. If you have a non-vented decklid this is a huge win.

A good parallel flow condenser does not have to be huge to work, just needs to be in good clean, cool airflow.
By the trans probably doesn't count.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
rrb6699

Post by rrb6699 »

I can mod the decklid. right now it's "7667" louvered lid and I was contemplating a scoop to keep rain out. the mod to the cutout under the license plate is something I haven't thought about. would this be under the license plate cover? that could act like a scoop too.

I was planning on using the trunk area for a larger heat exchanger / fan unless that is not a good idea.

rr
RR